Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

25-06 for LR shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 25-06 for LR shooting

I've added up the difference (minus brass), and it's oy a out $0.10-0.15 difference to load .25-06 and .257 Wby Mag. However, if you're buying factory loaded ammo, it is signidicantly cheaper to shoot the .25-06.

I shoot the 110gr Nosler Accubonds. Berger makes some 115gr VLD's that should help tou reach out and touch something. Hope this helps.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 25-06 for LR shooting

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkknupp View Post
I am new to LR hunting and shooting. I have a Rem 700 sps with factory barrel in 25-06. I have installed a B&C medalist stock on the rifle and a Timney trigger. Is it possible to shoot this set up , with a good hand loaded 115 Berger ,out to 800yrds ? Can I expect any consistency with the factory barrel out this far ? I mainly just want to ring steel with it.
The only way to find out is to shoot it. There are no guarantees with factory actions and barrels. It's like rolling dice. I have a Sendero 25-06 and it shoots sub 1/2 MOA. Great gun.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkknupp View Post
I am most concerned if the available bullets for the .25 caliber guns will allow for good long range performance. I know the caliber itself is powerful enough to shoot out to 1000 im just afraid the bullet selection will not be suitable to accurately shoot that far.Also, I have a.257WB that I use to deer hunt with. It is a great caliber. However, the 25-06 is cheaper to load and shoot so thats why I want to use it for LRS.

The rifle and barrel have a lot more to do with LR accuracy than bullet selection. Mine shoots anything quite well. Good luck.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams