Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

243 w/small primer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

243 w/small primer

I'm curious to see if any body is using the normal chambered 243, but with necked down Lapua small primer 308 brass? If you are, what are you using for bullets, and powder? Can you push it harder than a normal large primer casing due to the smaller primer pocket? Just curious as to if anybody is doing it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 AM
SPONSOR

Re: 243 w/small primer

I run a 6x47 Lapua. Different than what you are asking, but with Small Rifle Primer.

My only issues I have found is failure in cold temps. Switched to magnum Wolf primers and it helped some, but would rather run the Large rifle primers if it was possible......
Old 11-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero_Man View Post
I run a 6x47 Lapua. Different than what you are asking, but with Small Rifle Primer.

My only issues I have found is failure in cold temps. Switched to magnum Wolf primers and it helped some, but would rather run the Large rifle primers if it was possible......
Have you had problems with miss fires in the summer months? I would mainly use it March through September. Why so you think the small primers fail in cold weather? The reason I want to go with small primers are do to them being in a larger abundance. In my area large rifle primers in federal and cci are scarce.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Bronze Member

That seems like a pretty complicated solution to a simple problem. Primers aren't scarce like they were a while ago:

Remington Large Rifle Primers #9-1/2 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100) - MidwayUSA

Stock up for way less than buying a bunch of brass and necking it down. I doubt you'll even have to order - I live a few hours from you and I can get all the primers I need. I suspect you're not looking very hard.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
That seems like a pretty complicated solution to a simple problem. Primers aren't scarce like they were a while ago:

Remington Large Rifle Primers #9-1/2 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100) - MidwayUSA

Stock up for way less than buying a bunch of brass and necking it down. I doubt you'll even have to order - I live a few hours from you and I can get all the primers I need. I suspect you're not looking very hard.
I have looked at some of the local suppliers. They are usually out when I go to try and pick some up. I use federals and they are the most common to not be found. I have not used Rem primers in a while because the few times I used them, I had miss fires. I may have just had a bad batch. Right now I have a load that works really well in my 300WSM that uses the fed primer. I midway has them, just not looking forward to the shipping cost, and hazmat fee.

The other reason for my question to small primers is due to the accuracy rounds seem to gain by going to a small primer. If you look at 6br, 6.5x47 Lapua, they utilize the small primer for a couple of reasons. The first is the accuracy, and the second is that the casings seem to withstand a little more pressure. I am curious to see if anybody has experienced these gains with the casings in question. Maybe I should ask if anybody has seen these gains in the .308 caliber they were designed for?

Tank

Old 11-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

i tried it years ago with remington brass and small primer. i got hang fires . maybe someone on benchrest,.com has more experience. i advise against it. my hart barrrel .243 shoots .1,.2 or .3 depending on me; with a regular primer of any sort.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

I considered this but decided against it. I am thinking the 6x47 lapua is aboout as large a capacity as I want to use small rifle primers in. I would just use the lapua 243 brass.