Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

243 bullet size

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 02-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SW VA
Posts: 49
Re: 243 bullet size

I'm shooting at around 2000 feet. I figured I could at least stabilize a 95 grain or at least I hoped so. Guess there's one way to find out. Anybody shot this exact twist? And what was the biggest bullet you could stabilize?
__________________
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
-Ted Nugent
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near Napoleon,MI
Posts: 997
Re: 243 bullet size

The 95gr SST was working for me at 1000ft and 20F ambient so at higher altitude you should be fine. It is a PIA that Hornady does not publish the length of their bullets. You can go to 6mmbr.com and look at the 243 section on the menu on the left, they have quite a bit of info.

But many people want to shoot VLD's or Sierra Match Kings (SMK's). Berger has all the info you can use on their website and their calculator is pretty reliable. Make sure you do the calculation for the conditions in which you need to hunt, not just summer shooting conditions. Stability suffers in winter as the temperature drops. Last thing you need is a load that groups fine in summer, then is all over the map in winter. Thats what you will get if stability is "marginal" based on your twist rate.

McGowan and Criterion are making Remington 700 barrels which attach with a barrel nut like on a Savage. That means that after removing the factory barrel you can install future barrels yourself. I went this route with my 8x57 and can swap the barrel quite easy for a 308 or 30-06 or any other caliber that has a matching bolt face. With a replacement bolt and a single shot type follower, pretty much any reasonable caliber could be accommodated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg4life View Post
I'm shooting at around 2000 feet. I figured I could at least stabilize a 95 grain or at least I hoped so. Guess there's one way to find out. Anybody shot this exact twist? And what was the biggest bullet you could stabilize?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 78
Re: 243 bullet size

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
It would help if the posters above would list their barrel twist rate along with the other info. I just recently went to a 1:8 twist Shilen barrel because of the fact that the 1:9.25 twist of my Savage was limiting the weight of the bullets that I could shoot in winter conditions.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Remington VLS = 9.125 Same as your SPS and his.

Beelz
__________________
Shoot straight or shoot often.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SW VA
Posts: 49
Re: 243 bullet size

After I shoot out this barrel or if I stumble on some extra money I'm going to rebarrel this gun most likely in some kind of 6.5. I will for sure look into those barrels, I like the though of being able to change my own barrels as opposed to paying somebody else to play with my gun. But for now what would be borderline for my barrel twist? Would you say don't go over 95gr or 100gr? Just trying to put together an Idea of how large I can go without sacrificing stability. I like big bullets and I knew when I bought the 243 that I'd be limited. Let's say what's my biggest bc bullet for shooting long range and what is my highest bc in a hunting bullet? I know its hard to say exactly but just as a rule of thumb.
__________________
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
-Ted Nugent
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 78
Re: 243 bullet size

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg4life View Post
After I shoot out this barrel or if I stumble on some extra money I'm going to rebarrel this gun most likely in some kind of 6.5. I will for sure look into those barrels, I like the though of being able to change my own barrels as opposed to paying somebody else to play with my gun. But for now what would be borderline for my barrel twist? Would you say don't go over 95gr or 100gr? Just trying to put together an Idea of how large I can go without sacrificing stability. I like big bullets and I knew when I bought the 243 that I'd be limited. Let's say what's my biggest bc bullet for shooting long range and what is my highest bc in a hunting bullet? I know its hard to say exactly but just as a rule of thumb.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dawg, youre just going to have to do your "home work" to find out how hvy you can go. Everybody, including Hornady and Sierra say " for 7 or 8 twist barels only. Maybe my VLS is a freak of technology. I don't know beans about elevation or ambients or baro's or temperature. I'm a web footed swamp boy. I load, test, load some more, tweak a little and then order about 1000 of the bullets that shoot "marginally" in my freak. Then stock up on powder and primers. I just bought 1000 once fired RP brass last week for $22/100 too. I've got well over 1500 rounds loaded up for all of my 243s and enough bullets, primers, powder and brass to load that many more.

If you ever start loading you'll be hooked. Especially if you are an accuracy nut.

Do you know anyone that shoots a 243? If so, see if you can trade them out of a few of their store bought bullets and shoot them for a group.


Here's a link to what I think is the 95 grain SST Matt is talking about.

Again, good luck,
Beelzebub
Hornady Custom Ammo 243 Winchester 95 Grain SST Box of 20
__________________
Shoot straight or shoot often.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SW VA
Posts: 49
Re: 243 bullet size

Yea I know most of this info is a diy kind of approach and find out what works. I'm just trying to gather some info while I'm waiting on a scope and so I'll have a idea of what to try when the time comes. Those SST are at the top of my list to try until I can start reloading. I really want to start but getting your foot in the door seems to be a little pricy.
__________________
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
-Ted Nugent
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 78
Re: 243 bullet size

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg4life View Post
Yea I know most of this info is a diy kind of approach and find out what works. I'm just trying to gather some info while I'm waiting on a scope and so I'll have a idea of what to try when the time comes. Those SST are at the top of my list to try until I can start reloading. I really want to start but getting your foot in the door seems to be a little pricy.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If'n you wuz a flat lander instead of a ridge runner I'd be happy to load for you.

good luck and stay with it.
B
__________________
Shoot straight or shoot often.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 32.12%
62 Votes
NO - 52.33%
101 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 15.54%
30 Votes
Total Votes: 193
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC