close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

243 95gr VLD for deer hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Unread 07-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brusly, LA
Posts: 162
Re: 243 95gr VLD for deer hunting

But how do the 95 VLDs do?

I'm thinking about running them in my 243AI, @ about 3300fps. Any experience?
__________________
To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
Reply With Quote
  •   #9  
    Unread 07-06-2011, 06:08 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: Central Pennsylvania
    Posts: 4,155
    Re: 243 95gr VLD for deer hunting

    None with the 95VLD, but I have a Rem Mod7 shooting 95grn SST's in very small groups to 200yds. Farthest I have ever shot it. It's a 1:10 twist 18" barrel.

    Tank
    __________________
    Matthew 7:13-14
    "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

    If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

    Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

    arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
    Reply With Quote

      #10  
    Unread 07-06-2011, 08:13 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Tennessee
    Posts: 253
    Re: 243 95gr VLD for deer hunting

    For shots 200 yards and less your wasting your time with the 95 VLD. Its just not that great of a bullet for close ranges. 85 gr sierra or one of the nosler BT. I would like try some of Nosler's new 90 AB
    Reply With Quote
      #11  
    Unread 07-11-2011, 05:07 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Location: Brusly, LA
    Posts: 162
    Re: 243 95gr VLD for deer hunting

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tnshooter111 View Post
    For shots 200 yards and less your wasting your time with the 95 VLD. Its just not that great of a bullet for close ranges. 85 gr sierra or one of the nosler BT. I would like try some of Nosler's new 90 AB
    Not looking to shoot close (unless I have to).
    My 95Nolser Partition load does fine, but the BC ain't the best, and I want to stretch it a little.
    __________________
    To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
    -Helio Gracie
    Reply With Quote
      #12  
    Unread 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Posts: 11
    Re: 243 95gr VLD for deer hunting

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
    At the ranges you mentioned (40-200 yds) I would not worry too much about using the VLD, being that close I would recommend either the Barnes 80grn TTSX or the 85grn TSX, both would be better suited to the close distance you mentioned. Remember, the bullet is the cheapest part of your hunt, don't skimp on the quality.
    I also recommend the 85 grain TSX. It is very accurate in my rifle and because of the reduced contact area in the bore you can up the load a tad to get desired accuracy if you need to. I had the opportunity to recover one TSX after a frontal shot on a decent sized 8-pt whitetail and if looked like an add for the perfectly mushroomed hunting bullet.
    Reply With Quote
      #13  
    Unread 07-14-2011, 09:02 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Location: Brusly, LA
    Posts: 162
    Re: 243 95gr VLD for deer hunting

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by befus View Post
    I also recommend the 85 grain TSX. It is very accurate in my rifle and because of the reduced contact area in the bore you can up the load a tad to get desired accuracy if you need to. I had the opportunity to recover one TSX after a frontal shot on a decent sized 8-pt whitetail and if looked like an add for the perfectly mushroomed hunting bullet.

    Originally I was trying to run the 85TSX and 87Vmax, but the TSX never shot well. The Vmaxs shoot in the .4"s and the Nosler Partitions in the .3"s, but the TSX never did better than 1". I got crazy speed out of them though; Broke 3600fps with no pressure signs, I didn't keep going to try to find them either.
    __________________
    To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
    -Helio Gracie
    Reply With Quote
      #14  
    Unread 07-14-2011, 02:04 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Posts: 11
    Re: 243 95gr VLD for deer hunting

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpencerSS View Post
    Originally I was trying to run the 85TSX and 87Vmax, but the TSX never shot well. The Vmaxs shoot in the .4"s and the Nosler Partitions in the .3"s, but the TSX never did better than 1". I got crazy speed out of them though; Broke 3600fps with no pressure signs, I didn't keep going to try to find them either.
    Well it is a great hunting bullet and one really doesn't need .4 groups in a deer rifle not meant for extreme ranges. "Minute of deer" is a lot more forgiving than a shooting match. Any rifle which will shoot an inch or under will do fine out to 350 yards or so, and that is all I'd think a 243 would be asked to do before energy levels just get too low. And at the velocity you were getting those copper dandies would still expand well out to the max distance. Just my $.02.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: 243 95gr VLD for deer hunting
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    FS - Berger VLD Hunting 243 (6MM) 95gr SOLD bugle1up Reloading Equipment and Components 1 04-14-2010 10:13 PM
    deer hunting 22-250 AI 75 gr a-max foxhunter Deer Hunting 3 11-24-2009 09:45 PM
    Deer hunting kc Deer Hunting 0 04-19-2008 12:19 AM
    6.5-284 for deer hunting garsticker Long Range Hunting & Shooting 8 01-28-2007 07:09 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC