Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

230gr VLD LAZZERONI 7.82(.308)WarbirdŽ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 230gr VLD LAZZERONI 7.82(.308)WarbirdŽ

I wouldn't think you should see jacket integrity issues, those bullet are getting pushed that hard or harder in other chamberings and they're thick jackets, plus the poly rifling is supposed to be easy on jackets as well isn't it?

I've never shot a rifle that would shoot Berger seated at the lands, .020-.080 of the lands has been a very consistent sweet spot with the exception of one rifle that liked a .020 jamb.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

you all could be right ,,,,, a different seating position might change things ,,,,

as was posted in the beginning of this thread, I am using reloader 33 with the 230gr Berger's ,,,,

"IF" I could get around 500 more of them, and have them NP3 coated, I would then try IMR-7828 ,,,,,,

I do not like it when the peak pressure spike occurs with the bullet so far down the barrel as it does with reloader 33 ,,,,,

the IMR-7828 is a little faster and the peak pressure will occur with the bullet much closer to the chamber, thus the bullet SHOULD make a more consistent trip down the rest of the barrel before exiting ,,,,,
Old 12-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I wouldn't think you should see jacket integrity issues, those bullet are getting pushed that hard or harder in other chamberings and they're thick jackets, plus the poly rifling is supposed to be easy on jackets as well isn't it?
Agree

Quote:
I've never shot a rifle that would shoot Berger seated at the lands, .020-.080 of the lands has been a very consistent sweet spot with the exception of one rifle that liked a .020 jamb.
Others are getting best accuracy and ES with bullets close to the lands using RL33

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

I'm running .150" jump with the 225 hornady hpbt and rl33 in my 300 rum. The last group was 1.1" at 200 yards with it. I think it's still rather bullet dependant but I'd also bet that rl33 being a slower powder is requiring heavy load for good ignition, hence liking the bullets snuggled up to the rifling. I bet it would hate my 7 rum with the massive jump it has to the rifling, so I'm not even trying rl33 in my 7 rum unless rl25 and retumbo fizzle out for some reason.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazzInc View Post
you all could be right ,,,,, a different seating position might change things ,,,,

as was posted in the beginning of this thread, I am using reloader 33 with the 230gr Berger's ,,,,

"IF" I could get around 500 more of them, and have them NP3 coated, I would then try IMR-7828 ,,,,,,

I do not like it when the peak pressure spike occurs with the bullet so far down the barrel as it does with reloader 33 ,,,,,

the IMR-7828 is a little faster and the peak pressure will occur with the bullet much closer to the chamber, thus the bullet SHOULD make a more consistent trip down the rest of the barrel before exiting ,,,,,
John whats being noticed is Re33 likes the bullets at or on the lands, then your pressure spike is much sooner and you will see your ES numbers fall............ If this makes your round to long for your mag box try retumbo......or H1000........ With out the possibility of ever being able to afford one of your rifles I know it will shoot that Berger...........thanks for your endevours.

The 2nd Amendment......America's original Homeland Security.

Ethan Parke........roped the deer in 1953. Put tags in his ears turned him loose then shot him in 1955. Always liked this pic
The story was told to me by his wife who owned the little motel we stayed at on a deer hunt in Malta Idaho about 17 years ago...... Youll never see that again. Just a cool pic of Idaho deer huntin history
Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

I still think he'll like the results with 7828 SSC or Norma MRP.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.