Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

225 Accubond vs Elk Report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 225 Accubond vs Elk Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwk View Post
I do'nt understand all you folks got your animals so whats the problem, dead is dead. So i guess the bullet worked. DUH

I don't understand why people drag up 4yr old threads to start ******* contests.

t

Old 05-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I don't understand why people drag up 4yr old threads to start ******* contests.

t
LL! I was wondering about that too ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

I'm following this very closely... The Accubond has killed 4 deer and two hogs for me and none of them were anywhere near the size or toughness of elk. The only bullet I recovered was a 7mm 140gr projectile that traveled through about 3 feet of whitetail doe and was found under the hide in the offside ham. Classic perfect mushroom and DRT which is the almost boringly predictable result with almost all Nosler Bullets.

The only people that I've ever heard disrespecting Accubonds seem to be touting Barnes (insert latest cool multi-letter name here) X bullets.

I have never been a fan of weighting recovered bullets. Seems that the Accubonds do their job without fail and the Partition before it exhibited similar terminal charistics.

YMMV,
Bob
Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

The Accubond has killed 4 deer and two hogs for me and none of them were anywhere near the size or toughness of elk. The only bullet I recovered was a 7mm 140gr projectile that traveled through about 3 feet of whitetail doe and was found under the hide in the offside ham. Classic perfect mushroom and DRT which is the usual boringly predictable result with all Nosler Bullets I've ever used.

The only people that I've ever heard disrespecting Accubonds seem to be touting Barnes (insert latest cool multi-letter name here) X bullets.

I have never been a fan of weighting recovered bullets. Seems that the Accubonds do their job without fail and the Partition before it exhibited similar terminal charistics. I like to kill and eat animals with little fanfare and have never felt the compunction to weigh recovered bullets.

YMMV,
Bob
Old 05-12-2013, 05:49 AM
Silver Member

Something more I'd like to point out.... Absolutely reliable expansion of a bullet every time under every situation is what the Partition and now the Accubond have delivered and at the same time they've delivered a minimum caliber sized projectile as deep as your velocity and the density of the tissue the bullet has encountered allows.

This has proven the absolute best method of killing game animals in any situation from any angle for a LOT of years.

The shedding of the "pedals" is something that is going to happen fairly often with a bullet that is both designed to open easily thereby imparting a lot of shock on thin skilled and non-dense tissue animals but still retain the integrity of the base of the projectile to ensure DEEEEEP penetration.

Hunters asked Nosler to provide a bullet with these characteristics and they responded with the Partition and when they asked Nosler to provide one with a greater BC, plastic tip, and better accuracy they responded with the Accubond.

When we clamored for even better Ballistic Coefficients we got the Long Range Accubond which has yet to earn it's reputation.

Y'all can get out your scales and weigh recovered bullets all you want and have your long winded conversations about retained weight but until retained weight proves to be a quicker and more reliable game killer than the Accubond I'm probably not going to change what works for me.

YMMV

Climbing down off my soapbox and looking a bit sheepish.... LOL

Bob
Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Bob, whats the longest shot you have ever taken on a game animal?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

Mostly groundhogs in the 400yds to 650yds range... Tough stuff.... LOL

For a true game animal I think I killed an antelope at 425 once and have nailed a few coyotes well beyond that.

Oh yeah.... Once poked a whitetail at 613 but I'm pretty sure I got lucky on that one... I grossly miscalculated the wind and when I got my Kestrel out after the shot it was blowing 7mph and I estimated 15 but was in too much of a hurry to get the shot made. That shot was purely a hail Mary and as I started squeezing the trigger I was already thinking I was taking too much of a chance wounding him.

I swore I saw him run off but when I finally found him he appeared to have dropped in his tracks because the Partition made it through which was another surprise and there was hair and blood just beyond him. It's hell shooting game here in north Florida long range because unless they're standing in a road, as soon as they lay down, they disappear completely until you're standing over them due to the crazy thick vegetation.

Anyway... Why do you ask?