Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.22/And now for something completely different

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: .22/And now for something completely different

Maybe a separate topic, but how about .22 pistol? I have a ruger MKII that does a pretty fine job. I started shooting it last year and became pretty proficient on gophers out to 30 yards.

Does anyone know of a good silencer for the MKII bull barrel? I would like to shoot it without hearing protection but despite being just a .22 it still makes my ears ring.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:56 PM

I just found this sight and thought I would check it out. I don't know if this counts but I recently was injured in Iraq and medicly disharched from the army. The first thing I bought was a new Marlin 22WMR heavy barrel gun with a 3X9X40. Im an avid squirl hunter and thought it could double for pesky cyoetes also. I have made confirmed shots at over 600 meters with my issued M249 (.223) and did not have any idea of what to expect from the .22WMR in terms of long range accuracy. I sighted it in two weeks ago with a friend at 25 yards BSZ. it was dead on and consitantly putting them through the same hole. We put a new target up at 100 yards and fired 7 rounds, All seven shots where in the 10 ring which messured only 1 1/2 inches. We were talking about how good the rifle was when the range offical told me that he could shoot cb's at 200 and hold 2-3 inch groups. We moved the target back to 200 and shot 7 more rounds (CCI Maxi Mag TMJ). I aimed approximately 12 inches high and all 7 shots where in the black circle which mesures 6 inches. I thought it was not bad for not working the trigger yet and my first time sighting in the rifle. Also I am sure that is going to be a kill on a cyoete out to 200 at least. But if anyone has some info on how to tighten the groupes if it can be done at 200 with a .22WMR I am listening. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2004, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

JJ, thanks for your sacrifice, and congrats on your return. Sounds like you have a fine shooting mag in your closet BTW. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I shoot a lot of CB's and have one gun that will shoot 1/2" or sometimes less at 50 yds with the shorts. I have to guess that the range guy may have been teasing about getting that type of group with them at 200 yds. Not saying it isn't possible but I doubt it is consistantly repeatable due to MV variations that are routine in CB ammo. I have found CCI to be the most consistant in MY rifle but over a Chrony the velocities often have a spread of 50 fps or more. Too, wind plays absolute havoc with them.

Best to you!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

MTBA -- any of the major suppressor makers can help you out for 200-300$

AAC
AWC
Jet
gemtech

that is all i can think of for now.

JB
Old 07-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

J.J.
I would try some Remington Premier they load a 33 GR. V-max. In my mag they hold MOA at 100 yards. Federal did even better with the siera bullet but for some reason they switched to TNT's? (Tird N Tirds) they shoot like crap in my gun. You cant help fliers but there are gauges to measure the rim thickness not sure if its worth it. I shoot an old Savage Anschutz 64 Target,I re-chambered it, opened the bolt face, cut back the ejector, and shaved the wood down to a sporter. (sort of) It has killed several groundhogs at 200 yards plan to go further when i get the clicks down. Also shoot a Mauser 201 custom 22 RF. Just got it last year neat little front bolt lugs. shoots Eley High velocity MOA at 100 has killed groundhogs at 125 with a 7X loopy set up to use a bottom post hold (needs a target knob to go further)
MTBA
I also shoot a MK-II dont waste $ on scope mounts get a smith to dovetail the receiver for .22 rings like a rifle (5/8) and slap a red dot sight on it your groups will cut in 1/2 and distance will double!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Bronze Member

any hit over 200 is a damn good shot in my opinion

not to be bragging but, my best 22 hit was 317 on a groundhog (half a box of win. powerpoints lol) and my best one shot hit was 275 both on the same day
Old 07-08-2004, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the kind words I appreciate it but was just doing my job and there are alot of soldiers who still have a long road ahead of them, lets keep them in our thoughts as I do every day.

I will try to find some differant ammo and try it out to see if the gun can be tuned better but where can I find the remington ammo I only have a wal-mart near by and they only have winchester and CCI, As for the range offical he kind of came accros like a story teller so I didnt put much faith in what he said especially when he said my first groups with the rifle were slopy, I mean come-on it was my first time shooting since Ive been back and to be honest its going to take a while for me to get comfortalbe with the gun. thanks for input.