Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

210 berger expansion test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

210 berger expansion test

after all the topics on bergers i wanted to do a little test for myself (for my own peace of mind and for my own questions on my setup). i started serfing the net looking for some realistic testing how they would perfom shot into an animan. they are maybe out there but i couldnt find them. so i started trying to figure out how i could make something cheap and similar to shooting a vld into the vitals of an animal.

i ended up making a 24in box. the bullet would first go threw 3 inches of cardboard (rib meat, hide ect) after the cardboard i placed a piece of 1/4 waferboard to simulate missing ribs. i also cut a piece of 3/4 plywood (as if hitting the ribs). after the plywood i decided to make up a dough because i had read the ballistic gel was similar to shooting threw mucsle so i wanted something softer and more similar to shooting threw lungs and other vitals. the vital (dough) box was 18 inches long. i mixed the dough to the consistency i thought was similar to what i wanted.

i had read in another post about checking the depth of the hallow point so i had checked my box i had. i cant remember how many of each but i will guess.. i believe i had 18 bullets with a .015 depth... around 60 with a depth of .060 and about 20 with a deep hallow point of .100 or more. i decided to test the shallowest and deepest hallowpoints.

my pictures dont tell the story as well as i would like but i will explain each pic in a post right after i post the pics.

i dont know what you guys will get out of this test but all i can say is they performed exactly how i have read they should and didnt notice any different performance in the different point depths.. and i still am a berger believer.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
210 berger expansion test-dscf0340.jpg   210 berger expansion test-dscf0341.jpg  

210 berger expansion test-dscf0342.jpg   210 berger expansion test-dscf0345.jpg  

210 berger expansion test-dscf0346.jpg  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: 210 berger expansion test

pic 1&2 show the set up of the box and how the dough is packed in the box.

pic 3 is what the bullet looked like after i had shot threw it (with the .015 shallow tip) the clay had looked like it had expanded and been blown apart then settled back into place. this was with the 3/4 plywood simulating hitting ribs. about 14 inches of penetration.

pic 4 shows bullet penetration
pic 5 shows what the bullet looked like after we found it
Old 12-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Gold Member

what distance?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the effort and I think you're on the right track.

Did you reach any conclusions regarding the depth of the hollow point vs. expansion?

What was the range distance? Or what velocity?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

below...
pic 1 is the deeper point (.100) going threw the wafer board. i tried to pull it apart to show the wound channel and expansion going threw the dough. this one shows more penetration. possible took a little longer to expand without the help of the thick plywood.. bullet found 19 inches overall penetration...

pic 2 i didnt hit the dough solid and finally got a pass threw you can see where the main jacked passed threw then you can also see where the fragments had also passed threw.

pic 3 i had moved out to 600yards and hadnt turned the turret enough. the bullet penetrated about 2 inches into a solid boulder and still stayed together.

once again, viewing the pics i dont know how these will look to everyone else. but it said enough for me. and im very impressed, so i thought id share. from the shallowest point bullets to the deepest hallowpoints in the box i see no difference from this test
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
210 berger expansion test-dscf0347.jpg   210 berger expansion test-dscf0352.jpg  

210 berger expansion test-dscf0351.jpg  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bycamper View Post
Thanks for the effort and I think you're on the right track.

Did you reach any conclusions regarding the depth of the hollow point vs. expansion?

What was the range distance? Or what velocity?
sorry if i miss any info feel free to ask. there was alot to cover. i didnt notice any difference in expansion between the .015 and .100 points, also the shots were at 300y. velocity of my load is around 2700 fps. (havent chronod it yet) but thats what the load data shows and it matches my bullet drop..

there may be some confusion on the picture that shows the pass threw,, that was one bullet passing threw creating multiple holes. and was at 600yards. also hitting the rock was at 600 yards
Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Good work! They sure didn't pencil through, even the shallow tipped one. I commend you on doing the test so you know for yourself. Nothing like first hand confidence in your equipment.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Jeff