Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

2013 antelope hunt, Lamar Colorado

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Bronze Member

2013 antelope hunt, Lamar Colorado

I was lucky again this year to draw an antelope tag once again in Colorado. We hunt approx. fourty miles southwest of Lamar on a private ranch.

After driving around with my uncle for a while opening morning I decided to set up on a ridge overlooking a draw that was several miles long and about one mile wide. We had seen several group of antelope run in this area and I thought the only way to harvest one was to leave the truck and sit on a ridge and wait for one to come into range.

As you know quality glass and range finder are a must when hunting antelope. I had the glass, Leupold but I didnít have a good range finder. The Nikon 1000yd range finder I was using would only reach out to 572yds so I was limited to roughly a 600yd shot.

After I sat down on the ridge I took a wind reading which was blowing from my 3 oíclock anywhere from 3.6 to 8.7 mph, density altitude was around 5,200ft If memory serves me right. Using my range finder I developed a mental range card and kill box if anything happened to walk into it.

After about an hour of glassing I noticed a buck to my southeast moving west/northwest. He crossed path with a doe and yearling I had been watching but kept coming my way. After a while he slowly came into my kill box. Taking my time I reaffirmed distance to target (cacti I had ranged earlier) which was roughly 425/435yds, checking my drop chart attached to my rifle I dialed 6moa elevation and 1moa wind. Placing my rear bag under the stock I got a good cheek weld and loaded the bipod waiting for him to stop. He came to a stop, my crosshairs centered behind the shoulder; I slowly squeezed the trigger breaking the shot; 0.48 seconds later the antelope was tits up dead failed by a 7mm 168gr Berger Hunting VLD with a muzzle velocity of roughly 2,950fps.

I really like these types of hunts but I'm going to have to break down and buy a Leica 1600B range finder.

I was shooting a 7wsm Winchester M70 CRF action re-worked by GAP with a 26Ē MTU Bartlein barrel with Titan muzzle break bedded in a Manners T3 stock. Yíall are going to give me a hard time on the scope but Iíve had really good luck with it and it tracks great and hasnít given me any trouble and the glass is quite good in my opinion. Iíve run it up and down/ left and right and it always returns to zero. Itís a Hawke 6.5-20x42. Iíve gone after steel out to 750yds and parts in-between and had great success with it.

I was shooting 62.3grs of H4831sc behind Berger 168gr Hunt. VLD, Winchester turned brass with CCI BR2 primers. I had a really good load developed with 180gr Bergers but had to go with the 168gr because I shot the 180ís up over the summer preparing for this hunt and couldnít find them anymore.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
2013 antelope hunt, Lamar Colorado-image.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: 2013 antelope hunt, Lamar Colorado

Congrats on the successful hunt. Always satisfying when the plan comes together. I use the Leica 1600 and love it. Well worth the $.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Yet another antelope on the ground. Good for you! No flack from me on the scope. If it works for you, obviously, don't change a thing.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Very nice. The post sounded as if you had a good plan, mentally prepared for it, and well executed! Congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcann View Post
I really like these types of hunts but I'm going to have to break down and buy a Leica 1600B range finder.
You won't be disappointed!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Great write up. I made sure to read the whole thing before looking at the pic. Compelling. Post some pics of the rifle. Those 168 bergers are real hammers!
Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Great write up. I made sure to read the whole thing before looking at the pic. Compelling. Post some pics of the rifle. Those 168 bergers are real hammers!
Here's a couple of pictures I took while load testing and running an OCW this summer. The 10" plate was my very first attempt shooting 750yds. My rifle should shoot a lot better therefore I attribute the 1moa group to the wingnut shooting it.

I built the shooting platform from salvaged lumber from our church remodel. It gets me up out of the sand burrs, ants, and above the weeds.

I'm new to shooting longer ranges, growing up and being raised on a 7mm WM most of my shots on white tail were less than 200yds.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
2013 antelope hunt, Lamar Colorado-img_1003.jpg   2013 antelope hunt, Lamar Colorado-img_1006.jpg  

2013 antelope hunt, Lamar Colorado-img_0796.jpg   2013 antelope hunt, Lamar Colorado-img_0793.jpg  

Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Silver Member

Nice rifle. Like the shooting bench also