Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

2011 MT muley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

2011 MT muley

Chased this buck a couple times with the bow and never came close,called him patch's because of the double throat patch cape,caught him crossing a big draw last evening and took a 550 yard shot.Impact sounded solid and he dropped at the shot but by the time I got across the little canyon light was fading fast and I started overthinking the situation,sat down to catch my breath and smelled something....yep stinkey muley buck!He slid into a pile of buck brush and would have been REAL hard to find in the dark.Id say the rut isnt far away by the smell of him,no neck swelling to speak of but I saw 2 younger bucks today that looked like they were on weight gainer 5000.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 2011 MT muley

What an outstanding buck! Congrats.

When you get time if you have more pictures please post them as it's hard to appreciate that rack fully in that shot.

Again, congrats.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Nice work! I hope you're getting that big guy mounted. That cape will make such a nice mount.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:38 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Those young bucks are like teen age boys, anything with a heart beat gets them excited!!! LOL

The mulies should start rolling around here around mid November. When I say start rolling I am not referring to the young bucks "acting" like the ruts on, I mean seeing the big boys tending does.

A week after that starts the whitetails should start to hit it.

I am a bit worried this year, things are very late. Hell, during the second week of October we were hunting pronghorn and the mature bucks were acting like it was mid September and still running does, I even watched one mature pronghorn breed a doe. I have never seen this before that late in the year.

I suspect the last two winters and VERY wet and cold springs we have had are naturally pushing the rutting seasons back later in the year. I have heard the same thing about the elk bugle this year, was about 2-3 weeks later then normal. If that happens with the deer rut, we wil not see any of it during the Montana big game general season.

Its been getting less and less every year for about the last 10 years. I can remember when you could go out after the first week of November and see rutting mule deer and whitetails running does all over hell, now your lucky to see it around Thanksgiving, at least with the whitetails.

Anyway, great buck, lots of character and good shooting!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-29-2011, 05:52 AM
Silver Member

Congrates! His rack has character. Two different weapon seasons hunting him and yet people look down there nose at LRH. Kudos to you for sharing and HUNTING him down.

Gene R.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

Was that shot with Thor? Nice buck. Hope to do as well in whitetail season.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice Buck, I too have seen early signs of some rut in the muley's. Also we are seeing some of the bigger bucks come down that we don't usually see till late Nov. I am in agreeance that the rut could be early and I am faced with the question of whether to take a good buck now or wait to see what else shows up.

Nice shooting and a great trophy buck.

Jeff ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------