Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

2011 Montana Pronghorn Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: 2011 Montana Pronghorn Hunt

Congratulations! That's awesome and I love the raw power of the Allen mags!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

Congrats and thanks for the report. I noticed less big game...of all species...during my week and a half in Montana this year as well. We saw an unusual number of winter kill skeletons, however....
Old 10-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

ICANHITHIMMAN,

Energy numbers are right around 1750 ft/lbs at 823 yards at my elevation. Its more then the energy numbers, its also using a bullet that expands aggressively at these ranges.

As we all know, 1750 ft/lbs can be very different depending on what bullet is used. Put that into a 175 gr SMK that does not expand aggressively and the game will react much differently then the same energy level behind the Accubond.

This is one reason I do really like the Berger VLD bullets as they open up very well at long range and transfer alot of energy. The Wildcat bullets 200 gr ULD RBBT is simply amazing at long range. That bullet, which the 7mm AM was designed around, loaded to its top comfortable load of 3300 fps would retain over 2830 ft/lbs of energy. While expansion is not as aggressive as the Accubond, they always did expand very well at long range. You can see the dramatic difference adding an extra 1000 ft/lbs of energy on top of the 160 gr Accubond. Unfortunately, the barrel on Ol Green has enough wear on it that it will no longer shoot the thin jacketed bullet so we "Make Due" with the accubonds!!!

Just for comparision, a 7mm WSM with the same bullet loaded to top velocity would get you around 1100 ft/lbs of energy at 823 yards.

Again, I am using about the worst bullet for ballistic performance out of the 7mm AM. The 160 gr Accubond is a great bullet, tough, expands well, shoots great, but with a BC limited to around .540, it leaves alot of the 7mm AMs power on the table instead of down range. Because of the number of rounds down this barrel, I simply have to use a harder bullet to survive the launch. This barrel has well over 700 rounds down the barrel including alot of ballistic and load development which is pretty hard on a barrel.

Stepping up to the 200 gr ULD RBBT or even the 180 gr Accubond result in a step up in ballistic performance that is really hard to explain. In all honesty, a 7mm AM in one of my Raptor LRSS rifles, loaded with the 200 gr ULD will outperform ALL other chamberings until you step up to the huge 338 Allen Magnum. It is hard to believe what this combo does at long range, has to really be seen first hand to appreciate. Many will tout the need for a 338 cal magnum for long range hunting and for many applications a big 338 is certainly a great choice, especially when hunting larger game, but for deer size critters and in a rifle that will only be used for big game hunting, the 7mm AM has very few if any peers. I will get off my soap box now!!! Sorry.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

MT4xfore,

We will see what we can get Dad on this week. Say, A big 5x5 showed up today for the first time in a month. Velvet all cleaned off, dark horned, light tips, beautiful buck. Hoping he will hit the ground early next weekend and I will be able to get the Raptor worked up and ready for a trip to S. Dakota!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ishootkittens,

Feel free.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

ATH,

I know the eastern part of the state got hammered with winterkill but here in the north central part of the state we usually have enough farm land to get the animals through hard winters, plus we usually have enough wind to clear the heavy show off the ground to expose plenty of feed.

I think, at least in the case of the pronghorns, the last two very cool and extremely wet winters have been the main factor in the reduction of their numbers. New born pronghorns do very poorly in wet cool conditions!!!

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats! Excellent buck and shooting ... thanks for sharing.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.