Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

2010 first moose hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 2010 first moose hunt

That sucks that you lost a good moose. I suspect that you will learn from your mistakes on this one.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Moose aren't too awful difficult to kill with any decent lung shot. I've shot quite a number of them, and the ones in Alaska are even larger than the moose in Ontario. Either rifle would have done the job if the bullets had been placed in the central boiler room, and then expanded within the chest cavity. So I don't particularly agree that you were under-gunned with either rifle for a broadside shot through the lungs. The 30 caliber rifle would be a tad better under less favorable shot opportunities.

Sorry to hear that bull escaped. It takes a pretty good rest for most to connect at 500-600 yds, even on an animal the size of a moose. There are some lessons to be learned from your hunt. Consider this experience, what went right and what went wrong. Research, readjust & prepare. Then go out and nail the next moose you target in your riflescope!

Thanks for sharing your hunting adventure. Don't get overly discouraged, especially as a result of some of these critical/negative Posts. Too much Monday night, after-the-fact quarterbacking going on here, IMO.

Best wishes on your next effort.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Moose aren't too awful difficult to kill with any decent lung shot. I've shot quite a number of them, and the ones in Alaska are even larger than the moose in Ontario. Either rifle would have done the job if the bullets had been placed in the central boiler room, and then expanded within the chest cavity. So I don't particularly agree that you were under-gunned with either rifle for a broadside shot through the lungs. The 30 caliber rifle would be a tad better under less favorable shot opportunities.

Sorry to hear that bull escaped. It takes a pretty good rest for most to connect at 500-600 yds, even on an animal the size of a moose. There are some lessons to be learned from your hunt. Consider this experience, what went right and what went wrong. Research, readjust & prepare. Then go out and nail the next moose you target in your riflescope!

Thanks for sharing your hunting adventure. Don't get overly discouraged, especially as a result of some of these critical/negative Posts. Too much Monday night, after-the-fact quarterbacking going on here, IMO.

Excellent post man!!! Guys don't flame this young man, he had the gutts to post up a bad experience, this forum is one of the few spots where guys can, for the most part, share the good and the bad and get the help they are looking for instead of getting lit up like the 4th of July!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath

Excellent post man!!! Guys don't flame this young man, he had the gutts to post up a bad experience, this forum is one of the few spots where guys can, for the most part, share the good and the bad and get the help they are looking for instead of getting lit up like the 4th of July!!!

I appreciate the way you guys looked at the upside. I know what i did was a mistake, and its something i will look back on and learn from. Everyone has made mistakes and this one was mine.

I fully disagree that we were under gunned. I currently own the biggest caliber out of everyone in my hunting party. 3 own 7mm rem mag including me, 1 owns a 270. win, i own a 300. wsm and the rest own a 30-06 and every single one of them have successfully taken moose from the ranges of 50-350 yards, including the 270. win on multiple occasions. and the 30-06 on a few occasions have taken moose past 500 yards. So i disagree with being under gunned especially with 2 guys firing at the same moose.

Now i will and have learned from this experience but it was my first experience, i felt the need to share. It may have been a bad post and a bad experience but it is one i will never forget and is one that i actually rather enjoyed in a different way. The fact i was with my old man, and we learned together was enjoyable. Now im sorry if this story or my comment offended you guys but i disagree with your opinions.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
I appreciate the way you guys looked at the upside. I know what i did was a mistake, and its something i will look back on and learn from. Everyone has made mistakes and this one was mine.

The fact I was with my old man, and we learned together was enjoyable. Now I'm sorry if this story or my comment offended you guys ...
No need to apologize. Not every hunt ends the picture perfect way, but we obviously do our best to recover the animal. Your hunting story is one we can all learn from. I expect you will always remember this hunt fondly, no matter the outcome.

One tip on following up a wounded moose, or any other large game animal after the shot. If there's any doubt about the lethality of the hit(s), it's generally a good idea to let the animal bed down after it's moved off into the brush or woods. They'll generally leave a trackable blood trail to the their initial 'bedding site'. If you give them some time to weaken or expire where they first bed down, recovery of the animal will often be more successful. A couple hours might be a good rule of thumb, depending on the location of the bullet impact, weather conditions, available light, etc. Spook them up off their first bedding site too quickly and in the event where they haven't weakened or died, they may charge off and not leave a good enough blood trail or sign to track and follow to their next bedding location.

I'm not sure what your circumstances were. If it's raining, you pretty much need to follow up before the rain washes the sign away. And on an animal the size of a moose, if it's about to get dark, I would follow the trail before losing light, because an animal the size of a moose will typically spoil if left dead overnight without field dressing and getting the hide off of the large quarters. They meat needs to cool down, or a spoiling process referred to as bone souring will make the meat all but inedible. Yeah - I know from first hand experience. I was 21 years old at that time.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Gold Member

While I appreciate you sharing the story, that was extremely irresponsible. Yor father has hunted for a long time and should know his limits.

No doubt you guys know when it
comes to hunting
moose but slinging lead at such a huge and tough animal from 560yards was foolish. It ran off to die a slow death and you guys didn't get any meat.
Posting/reading on this site does not give anyone the ability to shoot to that range, only a LOT of practice does.

I'm 16 myself, and have done some stupid things while hunting (NF turret 10moa high for example) but I've never ever had to track any animal I've killed. I put 4000rounds through my .308 this year and practice really pays off.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

Well as I read you post I suspect if you didn't have to get the older guy out of camp you may have been able to get it. I have had to get someone out of camp once before and even though i was not tracking an animal at the time there wasn't much else that I was thinking of.

Two years ago a friend of mine shot a moose with a .270 at 405 yards. He shoots everything with a .270. He rocked it on the first shot and killed it on the second. I understand you were another 100+ yards but with good shot placement it would have been ok with the 300 anyways. I have witnessed what a .300 wam can do at 500 and I like it.

I'm sure there are several people on this forum that have made some loooong shots and had it go bad. I bet they didn't post about it though. . I have found that practice is a great thing but there is a huge difference between shooting paper and an animal. When it's time to shoot in the field and you have distance, wind, grass blowing, sticks and brush in your way and an animal that could move at any second. Well it is different than shooting paper for sure.

The only real mistake I see is bring a 78 year old man along on a moose hunt. But I would also have a hard time telling any 78 year old guy that wanted to go that he couldn't go.