Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

2007 Montana pronghorn hunt for the Allens....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Gold Member
Kirby, Good story and great hunts. Congrats to all. Tell your Dad that the biggest goat is minor recompense for all the case forming he has been doing.
Now..................bring on the deer and elk!!!!!!

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS

Unread 10-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Silver Member
Sounds like you finally got all your goats, great story and great hunt. Now it Muley time, just hollar when you want to go!

Can't wait to see the pictures!
Unread 10-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Congrats kirby and family, shootin them goats must be alot of fun. we saw thousands of them in WY but for some reason they just didnt wanna give us tags. No pics of any of them???????? Your breakin policy here bud we need photos

Steve Elmenhorst
Third Generation Shooting Supply
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Unread 10-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Congrats to all!
- -
Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Unread 11-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member
Congratulations Kirby.

I saw the thread a few days after you posted it but I felt it deserved more than the usual “Good job” comment.

First, congratulations on getting past 1K on big game with a rifle you personally built. Secondly, that was a very difficult shot. An antelope is a very small target and it is hard to get set up and get a decent wind to shoot in if a person is as particular as you are on the size of the horns.

Secondly, if a person has done any antelope hunting past 1K they know the importance of muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient to fight the wind. The 338 AM proved it ability. While I was hunting with the 240Wby and the 0.595 BC Berger I always knew I had better stuff in my truck. Next year the 240Wby will stay at home and the “better stuff” will be used.

Thirdly, I am surprised the rifle didn’t slip out of your hands because your palms were so sweaty knowing if you missed you would have to go see your Granny and have her teach your how to embroider on a hat “APS 2007 Longest Shot” and send it to me. You are so very fortunate that I missed the elk at 1425 yards because you would be making me a hat instead of building rifles.

Finally, I suggest you go and get the embroidery lessons anyway as you will need them next year because 1300 yards will not be enough to save you.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 11-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Silver Member
Good hunt and good story, thanks for sharing. We amatuers appreciate when the professionals have shooting or mechanical issues. Maybe 1 day I'll get to shoot an antelope, just not many of them here in North Carolina.

Unread 11-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
I am way overdue on this one, sorry guys.

THis was the first buck the Allen boys took down this fall. The horns were not the best this season, very dry and not much for prongs on most of the bucks. This buck has a very tight curl. Looks smaller then what he really is at around 14" tall. Not much for prongs but like I said, that was common this year.

My brother used his Sako 7.82 Warbird shooting the new 208 gr A-Max at just shy of 3300 fps. The range was 510 yards.

I was second up to bat. Finally had a calm morning to set up over a big hay field. This buck was laying with back to us, quartering away, you can see the impact on the right hip and exit results from the other side. This is my second largest buck I have taken. In 2005, I took a hog that scored 84 2/8" B&C making the all time B&C record book. This buck unfortantly is just as big as that one but I did not realize he had broken off both his cutters....... Still, he scored 72". Had he had his cutters, he would have been another +80" buck even with average cutters.

The shot was with my 338 Allen Magnum lightweight at a 1300 yards. My personal best to date for long range hits big game hunting. Iwas using the new 265 gr AT RBBT prototype bullets from Wildcat Bullets. Thanks Richard for letting me test them on my elk and pronghorn this year. I suspect by next season more will be in the air!!!

If I look like total hell, its because we just got done packing the buck roughly 3000 yards round trip!!! It was not hot but I sweat thinking about work!!!

Last year, my dad shot the biggest buck between the three of us the first morning of pronghorn season. Well, this year, he was the last to get his buck, BUT, he still shot the biggest buck of the year again. The old man showed us kids how it was done.

I will say however, that it took a bit of arm twisting to get him to put a stock on this buck as it was nearly 2 miles out to where they were bedded down and the bowl they were in would be tricky to get close enough for him to shoot with his 25-284. Still those that read the original story know it all worked out perfectly.

THis is a really great buck in this area, especially this year. The only thing he was lacking was a bit of mass and a bit of length and he would have been a real toad of a buck. Still, he was by far the best buck we saw in 10 days of hard hunting. Dad made a great shot at around 420 yards with his 25-284 making a perfect behind the shoulder hit and the buck fell within 50 yards.

This buck scored right at 80" just making the Montana record books. A great buck and again, the old man shows us kids how to do it!!!

Remember I said this was a 2 mile stock out to the buck, well, we did not expect to kill the buck where he was bedded. So we did not take the game cart. Once we killed the buck, we realized we had a hell of a hike on our hands. 2 miles out, kill the buck, 2 miles back to get the game cart, 2 miles back out to the buck, take some pictures, clean the buck and 2 miles back to the truck. Lets see, 8 miles in one afternoon, more then worth it and would do it every year if dad wants to go after some bucks.

Anyway, sorry for the late pics but there they are.

Onto next year and hope we can get some more permits!!!

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: