Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

2005 Pronghorn hunt results, 257 Allen Magnum.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 2005 Pronghorn hunt results, 257 Allen Magnum.....

Kirby, that is a great story and great ending. Congratulations. Comparing your picture to our bucks we shot in WY, Yours is a HOG. The body on that animal looks pretty beefy to me.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Varmint Hunter,

I will be honest with you, I have not killed a large number of pronghorns personally, four mature bucks and twice that many does.

The thing I look for as far as the darkness of their face is the amount of white between their upper lip and the black on their muzzle.

Just for comparisions sake, if you look at the pics of my buck you will see a relatively narrow strip of white on the upperlip before it goes into black coloring.

I use this as a judge, the more black on the muzzle and the closer it comes to the upper lip the older the buck will be.

We aged my buck at 6 years old from his teeth which is really the only good way to tell. This is also dependant on the area the animals are in and what they feed on.

Without seeing the bottom jaw on your buck I would not want to take a guess.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

ss7mm,

I am with you, I would have never guessed him anywhere near 15", even after I was holding his horns. The good thing is that the tape measure never lies. Generally you are expecting more inches then you actually have in real life so this was a nice suprise [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!

As far as shifting gears to deer, you got that right but before I do that I need to get some more rifles finished and shipped, I think you may know someone who is waiting for a rifle [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Need to get her finished up and on its way.

The next real project for me personally is to get ready for my Canadian whitetail hunt. This sounds terrible as a gunsmith but I have no idea what rifle I will be taking up there for this hunt. I have been told to either bring two rifles, one for close quarters hunting and one for long range shooting.

Right now I have my test rifle in 7mm AM which will not handle the big 200 gr ULDs quite well enough to work at long range. It will however shoot the 160 gr Accubonds pretty well. So it may well get the call to duty.

Guess I may have to actually engrave the barrel and finish it as well???...........

I mean if I happen to luck into daddy big boy I guess I better have the barrel engraved with 7mm Allen Mag at least!!

For now though its back to work. I took a day off for me, time to get guys their rifles so they can do what I just did!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-10-2005, 06:32 AM
Silver Member

Great antelope kirby! Great story too. Its nice when a plan comes together!

I hear there might be something waiting for you up in alberta??????

I hope that comes together for you!

WildWorks Outdoor TV

Away Outdoor TV.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:06 AM
SPONSOR

Kirby,
Good planning and good shooting. I'm glad you took a day off to play. Also, thanks for writing in such a way we could see the hunt in our minds as we read.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:07 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Wildworks,

Thanks, I was very happy with the pronghorn I was able to harvest.

Going into the Canadian whitetail hunt I am trying very hard to keep things realistic. I know this is where the big boys live and my good friend has spotted several that to me would be truely once in a life time bucks but I also know this is hunting and whitetail hunting for monster mature bucks is very difficult. Even though they are there and you know they are there, it does not mean you will ever see them.

As such I am not focusing on a book class animal, instead I only want a chance to hunt these animals and if possible harvest a mature animal of +5 years of age.

That said with the frequent scouting reports coming down from Canada, I will admit to day dreaming about 180" typical bucks!!!

Doing my best though not to think to much about this though for now, have rifles to build.

By the way, could you e-mail me some of your information about your taxidermy work, price, turn around times and such. May need your survives as I have not decided yet how I will handle this is I actually get a big buck.

Have a good day,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-10-2005, 08:37 AM
SPONSOR

Great job Kirby,

I am glad to see you let the big 156 ULD RBBT eat!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Me and BJ stretched the legs on the 270AM this weekend so you might wanna check out the post on it this afternoon.

Hell of a nice goat, I can't wait to hunt those things some day. Nice pics also

Congratulations Kirby

Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST