Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

200 Nosler Accubond vs. a cow elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: 200 Nosler Accubond vs. a cow elk

good to hear that they are backing up there product like that and are interested in the problem as well. did they ask for you to send the remaining bullets back for there lab to test? I am with you on the 200 s my big .30 loves them too! I hope the get it figured out soon!

WildWorks Outdoor TV

Away Outdoor TV.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
did they ask for you to send the remaining bullets back for there lab to test

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they did. I think this is a very remote and rare occurance. I am not going to worry about the incident at all because it is way out of the ordinary. From what I hear, the Accubond is a great bullet and I am going to stick with it for now.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Ok quick dumb question, Partion and accubond which damages more meet. Same question with amax vmax vullets. I kinda remeber hearing or reading that when you see plastic tips on bullets that they do more damage. But i thought Partions did more damage then accubounds.

I am all confused now some one please help [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Robins,

In most cases the Accubond vs the Partition will not cause any more/less dammage to meat than the other. If you hit bones with either, youre going to tear up meat. The Nosler Ballistic tip will tear up more meat than the Accubond however. The AMAX will tear up meat more whether or not you hit bone, but God help you if you hit bone with the AMAX (excluding ribs.)

Clear as mud??

I too am glad Nosler will be looking into this problem. Like I said, it seems as if the AB's were acting like BT's. Thats not good. I too will not be giving up on that bullet as it already has done good for me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

I think you would have been better served with a Wildcat or TSX bullet and aim to disrupt the CNS. Personally, I've had perfect satisfaction from the 200 AB in my 300 RUM but it's these scenarios that still give me mixed emotions on the full reliability of the AB bullet.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Bronze Member

One more recent AB testimony.
I shot a large cow bison last week at 150 yds with Rem 7 mag. 160 gr. Federal factory ammo. Sort of a large entrance (silver dollar sized+) as it hit some rib, centerpunched the heart and evidently still in one piece on the far side catching a bit more rib before completely shattering the far leg.
She didn't last long and when she fell, she fell dead. The entrance and exit wounds through the ribs were similar in size.
For whatever its worth.
Seemed good enough for me to try again as most groups were an inch or under at 100. The last 15-18 under an inch and a half (I was tuning my BOSS).
Old 11-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

JeffersonV:

Your experience seems more typical. One case like mine is far from conclusive. A lot of strange things can happen when dealing with terminal ballistics. I only posted about this incident because it is so odd.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you would have been better served with a Wildcat or TSX bullet and aim to disrupt the CNS.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am one of those boiler room type of guys. I learned about head/neck shots the hard way.