Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

2 unexpected coyotes!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

2 unexpected coyotes!!

I went out shooting yesterday with a friend to do some longer range practice on the gongs 400-800. Since my shooting spot is in the middle of sagebrush ground, theres always the chance of running into a coyote. This has happened to me before, not having a gun out and ready and we see a coyote. Well, since then I'd like to think I've got a little smarter and everytime I go shoot, I keep at least 1 of the rifles up front with me. Looks like it finaly paid off yesterday. Just as we were cresting over the hill, I spotted a yote jump out of some thick sagebrush/cover. I didn't see the other as I was locked on the one I seen first. I happned to have my .222 out with the new 55g NBT loads I worked up couple weeks ago. My coyote did the famous stop and look only to have me send one of those little 55g NBT right smack into his shoulder. He folded at the shot. Right after I shoot, I hear my buddies 30-06 blast off and see his coyote rolling. His was 198 yards on a dead run, shot with a 180g AB. We were pretty stoked. Getting 2 coyotes and not even planning on it was definately the highlight of the day. The little 55g NBT left a hellacious exit hole about 3" long and 2"wide. I think they'll work for yotes alright!!

Heres me with the 222 coyote. I took the vx3 6.5-20x50 off the 7 mag and put on the 222 so I can dial out to 400 yards or so.

Heres my buddy and his 30-06 coyote.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: 2 unexpected coyotes!!

Nice!! Only problem is you didn't shoot'em with the 25, what's that all about?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice.

I'm green with envy, all our ground is white and our water is too!

I can't wait til spring!!!!

don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 02-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

The 25 was in the case in the back of the truck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]! I'm actually glad thats where it was to. I just zeroed my 25 last week at 200 yards when it was about 25-30 degrees. When I shot it yesterday about 60 degrees, it was 5-6" high at 200, so I would have shot wayyy over that yote, I would have been so pi$$ed. I dont get how theres that much difference in the weather to make my 25 be so far off. It had me stumped. I got her sighted back in at 200, but who knows how long that will last. My 25 has been giving me headache for the last couple months. Trying to find a good consistent load, and keeping it zeroed is starting to agitate me a bit. I dont know what the deal is, but I'm gettin sick of it. Every time I go out and shoot, my 25 isn't on. Not that it doesn't shoot decent groups, just not where there suppose to be going.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys. Hey when theres snow on the ground, thats prime time to be out looking for yotes! We get snow here maybe 1 or 2 times a year, and it doesn't stay for long, usually till noon or so, ha ha. Damn desert anyways...
Old 02-19-2007, 01:21 PM
SPONSOR

Now those guys on Coyote Gods might get a little mad at ya'll!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I thought coyotes could only be popped by 17 cals [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

good shootin guys

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 02-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Bronze Member

Lerch,
I couldn't agree more w/ ya!! I've trapsed over there to the Coyote Gods forum a couple of times thinking I might learn something new, being a new yote' hunter. Talk about narrowed minded people, I don't think I've ever been so dejected and put down bacause I don't own a 17 Rem.. I own a 17HMR, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem., 6mm Rem. and a 6br for my "varmint" battery. Pretty good array of varmint rifles to choose from if you ask me, especially my custom 22-250 that I had built just for calling coyotes!! Let's just say I haven't frequented that site since. I felt that I should have just trashed my battery and bought a 17 Rem. and asked for their permission to use it. Different mentality!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
I've composed my feelings thus far:
(A Coyote Poem)

I shoot yotes so they will die,
If I can, I shoot them in the eye,
Sometimes I shoot them in the grass,
Sometimes I shoot them in the @$$,

They spin and swirl and jump around,
But sometimes they just hit the ground,
I call them in with screams of terror,
sounding like a dying hare (or)....

Maybe I’ll sit still you see,
Looking like a bush or tree,