Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

2 TX Deer with SGK's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2004, 09:19 AM

2 TX Deer with SGK\'s

I took 2 Whitetail Bucks this weekend using my latest build of a Montana .264 Win Mag with a 28" heavy barrel 1-9 twist. I was testing 140 gr. Sierra GameKings behind 53.5 gr. of H4831. The Deer were taken at 250 yds and 420 yds. Both Deer were dead within 60 seconds, but I guess I'm used to instant kills; with other bullets I've used in the past. I was somewhat impressed by the accuracy in field conditions, but noticed that the exit wounds were fairly small; indicating very little expansion. Rating this bullet for hunting on a 1-10 scale, I'd give the SGK a (7), while rating the less expensive Remington Corelokts a (9). Still looking forward to testing the Barnes XLC's and Nosler Partitions on Deer and Hogs, and will report back when I have done so. Good Shootin'
Old 11-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: 2 TX Deer with SGK\'s

The non instant kills is what made me decide to go for neck and head shots.

Years ago I was already for the 400 yard shots with my .270 AI using 140 Sierra SPBT loaded to @3300. Of course after hard hunting all day long I'm driving off the mountian. When a whole herd wonders down on the road in front of me.

Well at 50 or so yards perfect broadside "Boom" fine blood spray fanned out all over the snow covered sage brush. 20 - 30 tracks heading in all directions and I had to find blood drops to track, that buck ran nearly a 1/2 mile straight of down the hill. It finally bled out. Exit wound was only the size of .25 cent piece. Mouth and noose full of blood from both lungs and back side of the heart torn.

The problem is the little .277 hole. It didn't impart any energy on the animal it went threw so fast. The hole was only quarter size because it hit a rib on exit.

I just don't believe that lung shots are good unless your doing long shots and you require a bigger kill zone.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Bronze Member

I shot my buck this year a 518 yards (leica 1200 rangefinder). I used my cheap Savage heavy bbl 308 with a 175 gr MK and 45 grs W748. One shot directly behind both shoulders, through both lungs. He ran downhill about 30 yards and piled up dead. The exit hole was also about the size of a quarter with a rib broken. Overall not great bullet performance, but not bad either. The deer was dead before he knew it.

Last years deer was shot behind the ear at 398 yards. He instantly flopped over and stuck all his legs in the air. I was using the same load and same cheap rifle.

I don't have too big of a problem with MKs for hunting if the person is an experienced long range hunter. True there are better choices in bullet performance but without the accuracy to put the bullet where it needs to go, the rest is just ******* in the wind.
Besides, I practice year round with this rifle and load so I know Exactly where it will likely hit.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:40 AM

Guys,
Thanks for your input! Good Shootin'
Old 11-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

Dont mean to be a dick, however there is alot of hyperbole about terminal ballistics in those posts. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2004, 10:13 AM

Hi Charles,
OK, I'll bite the bait. What exactly do you perceive to be exaggerated in our posts? Not that it's going to change the World, nor had I planned to enter any of this in some contest...but are we on the long distance hunting board or the E.B. Browning grammatical structure board? Maybe you just had a bad day??? We're not laughing at ya. We're laughing near ya! Seriously though, I would appreciate any comments regarding long distance hunting, as I am somewhat new to this sport, and have gleaned some very sharp insights from the pros on this site. Hope you have a great day, and Good Shootin Bro!
Old 11-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Silver Member

Nighthunter not trying to be a jerk as I stated before, however I have a pretty good amount of knowledge in the particular area, and alot of times what people see, how they explain it, and what really caused it are different things.

[Quoted by Nighthunter]"but noticed that the exit wounds were fairly small; indicating very little expansion."[end qoute]

Now that could be true, and you did not specify what the damage was to the internal organs, however when I read/hear something like that it makes me cringe. Most of the time it happens just like your post, little exit hole, so assume little expansion. Take that same shot with a fragmenting(ie. SGK) type of bullet. By the time its exited, only the base may be left, leaving a small exit hole, even though the bullet created massive damage to the internal tissue.

No big deal, but when someone that does not know better it becomes gun shop "fact", and before you know it Matchkings don't kill deer.

[Quoted by Budlight] "It didn't impart any energy on the animal it went threw so fast."[end qoute]

Ok this ones asinine. "Energy" persay does not kill, tissue disruption does. How "fast" a bullet goes through an object has little effect outside of hydrostatic shock, temerary strech cavity, and what effect the speed has on the bullet causing it to deform in some way. The more velocity an expanding bullet has when it strikes a target, the MORE disruption it will cause.

[Qouted by Budlight]"I just don't believe that lung shots are good unless your doing long shots and you require a bigger kill zone."[end qoute]

Ok real question here as to the rational behind that.

Nighthunter, I should have asked you why you came to those conclusions first.

Ps., I like your screen qoute.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]