Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

2 Rifles for Big Game.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2002, 05:38 AM

2 Rifles for Big Game.

I'm consolidating my collection(I know...I know ) and am going to use two rifles for all my hunting. I want an easy shooting cartridge that's outstanding on deer/antelope and something with some punch for elk, caribou, moose, bear, etc.

I'll be using a Rem 700 for my deer rifle. I'm leaning towards the 25-06 but the jury's still out. Other cartridges I'm considering on the low end include the 270, 280, 257 Wby, and 7mm Rem Mag.

Since elk, caribou, moose, bear, etc. are only dream hunts, I have very little experience on the upper end of this spectrum. Odds are that I'll be using another SS Rem 700 but a Ruger, Winchester, or Sako aren't out of the question. I'm leaning towards a 338 Win but the 338 Ultra, 375 H&H, 375 Ultra, and 416 Rem look good too.

What's your opinion??
Old 11-14-2002, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 2 Rifles for Big Game.

Hello Nebraska

Since I have killed most of the game you discribed and if I were a short range hunter as I think you are, my choice would be;

1. The 270 or 280 for both whitetail and mule deer.

2. For larger "dream Hunts" I would go with the 338 Winchester mag.

To take it one step further.
If you wanted to go with only ONE gun in your collection that would cover the deer, elk, carabou, moose and black bear, you had on your list the 7mm Mag. That one would be the caliber I would use for all the game you mentioned if I had to go to only "ONE" rifle.

Just my opinion
DC

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 11-14-2002, 08:07 AM
*WyoWhisper*

OK,

Here's an Honest opinion from a guide who just got through a busy season..

For Deer Whitetail or Mulies.. 25-06 is great but it can't buck the wind.. you still need the 150+ gr bullets in my opinion. I'd go with the 7mm cal on up... 30 preferably

For the Elk .. well.. the ultra mags are new, big and powerful .. YOU DO NOT NEED THEM!!! unless you are going to hunt at distance. there is no need for an ultra mag at 200 yards or less... a 30-06 will do the same job inside of 200 yards that 300 RUM will do the Elk will still die the same

For Elk/ moose caribou inside of 200 yards .. it hard to beat the 338 win. mag. This will stop a bear too...

The 416 is completely unnecessary unless your hunting Kodiak bears

I saw way to many hunters bring these ultra mags out here for shots at 80 yards.. the bullet went through so fast it never had time to do what is was supposed to do...

Use your head ... if your shots are gonna be 200 yards inside or there about your standard magnums are all fine....

just my .02
Old 11-14-2002, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Hello Ric

I think we are on the same thought patterns here as to rifles and calibers, for the most part. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I killed many deer with my old 270 and now carry a 280 Mountain rifle (with 168 MKs of course) when I'm short range hunting.
The 7/300 Weatherby with a 29 1/2" barrel) is my carry gun (weighs 9 1/2 lb with a 6x to 20x Leupold) for elk or ridge shooting in the west. That one does the job to 1250 yards without many problems at all. It also has a bypod.

I do think (for Nebraska) the 338 Win mag will kill anything he goes after in North America if the shots are inside of 200 to 250 yards.

Have a good one.
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 09:04 AM
*WyoWhisper*

DC,
Woo Hoo .. does this mean I am finally getting it.. cool... Yeah I kinda thought we think along the same lines.. I think the main difference is that
1. You have more money to play with
2. More time
3. Have a buddy who is a gunsmith...I'm still trying to figure out how you pulled that off......

But anyway.....

The RUM's are really cool but I really think that unless your 300 yards or even further out I think it's over kill... I can attest ( as I am sure other here can too ) that my .308 can be and is as effective on Mule deer to 700+ yards. If and only if the shot placement is where it needs to be... but I know the general public would think I am way under gunned!! For Whitetail at 200 yards or less I really would be hard pressed to find a better cal. all aspects considered...

I have to be honest though.. the wife came through for me again for by B-day.... not sure how she did it but she scraped enough away to have another rifle built for me...( says it took her 2 years without me noticing) it's gonna be a 300 winny...
you should see what I'm getting her....

But .. the 300 winny will be an effective Elk gun to 500yards.. this same gun will get me to 1K on deer.. way more than needed because I hunt alone most of the time....

I saw alot of guys with the big boomers here this year.. 50% were afraid of them....
Old 11-14-2002, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Hello Ric

1. More Money?????? I'm broke and the kids are starving. You must be doing well. A new 300 Weatherby rifle and a new BMW for the wife?

2. More Time?????? I'm retired, but I can't figure out how I ever had time to go to work.
I'm busy as a "two peckered Rabbit" most of the time.

3. I have a "good friend" who is a gunsmith (Ray Romain).----We simply got along from the start. I wrote an article in Varmint Hunter magazine years ago about the amazing 6.5 Gibbs (his favorite line of catridges) and he built at least 37 guns from that article alone and is still doing so. I also did one on the 22/284 and he chambered a bunch of them for customers.
DC was responsible for getting him his 1800 yard mule deer this year in Colorado.
Yep, I guess you can say we are friends like many I have met on this forum, you and your lovely wife, included. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The 308 IS a fine cartridge and there are a ton of bullet weights for it.
You will appreciate the 300 Weatherby also. The 220 gr MK works well in them and the power differance over the 308 Win is VERY noticable.

Anyway have a good one, friend.

DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Personally I use a 25-06 for everything in Colorado except elk and bear. When I go out with the intent of killing elk I take my 30-06 (unless its muzzle season). My brother uses the 25-06, 338 Win mag combo. My other brother uses a 7mm Rem mag for everything.
I too have limited funds for shooting long range, but am trying to talk my brother (the unmarried one [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] to get set up so we can consider taking deer or antelope out to 750 yards.

I used my 30-06 for caribou in Alaska, but I could have got by with much less. A 25-06 would work fine on caribou, but I do not own a pistol and there were too many things hunting me at the same time
[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: QuietHunter ]