Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

1st post and thinking new LR hunting rig.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 1st post and thinking new LR hunting rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post

My dilemma is this:
Do i go with the tried-n-true .300 Win Mag (which i have a couple thousand rounds of experience with) or the wicked-hot .300 Remington Ultra?

There are a few questions for me sort out as well.
Q1 - will the .300 RUM even fit in my donor action?
Q2 - will the .300 RUM be a barrell-burning monster?
Q3 - is the .300 RUM recoil that much more punishing than the .300 Win?
Only i know this....though i'm reasonably OK with recoil, i don't wanna rock my fillings loose either...

I'm considering only the .300 Win or the .300 Rem Ultra.

Q1 - I'm pretty sure the 300RUM will fit in your 7mag action. Generally speaking the 7mag is 3.29" and the 300RUM is 3.6"

Q2 - no

Q3 - I don't think it's that much more punishing, but it's one that you wouldn't want to shoot for a many rounds. Put a muzzle brake on your new rig and it will tame it down to a pussy cat.

300Win or 300RUM....300RUM no doubt.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:46 AM
Silver Member

Thanks everyone!

Just the sorta info i was hoping to get.

It's looking like 5x affirmations for the .300 Win, though the .300 RUM is well-regarded and 1 illustration of and 2x suggestions for what .300 WSM can do.

I'm definitely OK with adding a muzzle-brake, i simply didn't think of it.

If a muzzle-brake made the .300 RUM shoot like a pussycat w/no downside (aside from blast while at the range) why not? As i'm thinking it through, there shouldn't be any ballistic affect, right?

Any suggestions for a "good" muzzle-brake (brand/type/price/etc)?

I'm honestly surprised to hear there isn't more throat erosion using the .300 RUM. I'm thinking that higher velocities and more-powder burn seems like a natural place to eat up some barrel life (eg .220 Swift).

In terms of energy deposit on target, i'm all for more is better within what is "acceptable" levels of shootability (recoil, muzzle blast, cost for ammo/components). I've never lost a deer that i shot at and wouldn't want to loose an elk b/c i choose the wrong platform given their strength. I know powerful cartridges cannot compensate for crappy marksmanship and boiler-room, 1-shot kills are my goal.

To me and my ignorance, it's hard to argue with flat trajectory and tons of power when looking to go elk hunting.

Admittedly, i have *never* been elk hunting - it's a long-held dream of mine. I'm simply wanting to make sure i have the right medicine for the matter at hand and cartridge selection is of primary consideration (along with ensuring excellent marksmanship, proper bullet and bullet placement).

If accuracy is all the same between bullet choices, I'm thinking that the Swift Scirocco in 180gr would be a great bullet for the terminal velocities the .300 RUM enables. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks so much for all the advice/info!

PS - that was a *really* nice looking bear! I'd be in those woods with something bigger than .30cal 'cause i'm a big 'ol chicken!!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

fmajor,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! As others already noted, your .300 WM will do just fine ... yep, you do not "need" the .300 RUM for your intended purpose but we all understand you "want" it - I say go for it - must be a guy thing!

For muzzle brakes, look no further than the sponsors , they have some of the best in the business - just do a search and you'll be overwhelmed.

You might also want to consider the 200gr NAB.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome and here is my .02 worth. You said about component expense and availability. From where I sit, your thousands of 300WM brass is enough of a reason for me to continue in that caliber. It will do better than the 300WSM (which I currently own) with heavier bullets, but not as well as the rum. I'm finding in my desire for accuracy that you can get decent 190grn and 200grn bullets from manufactures such as Berger, Sierra, and Nosler. I currently shoot 200 Sierra Matchkings in my WSM with great effect. With the WM I believe you would be able to out pace my WSM by 100 to 200 fps.

The reason I say this is due to the bigger boiler room of the WM. With the new powders that are out (H1000, Retumbo, RL17, H4831SC, and H4350) there, you would be able to take advantage of that space. I can currently only get 2950fps out of my WSM. I know that you could do 100fps better with the WM. The rum will get you up over the 3100fps mark with the same bullet. Not having one I can't vouch for its speed.

The Swift is an excellent bullet, but comes with a not so excellent price in my mind. I feel I can do the same with any of the other manufactures out there. I currently stick with Sierra and Hornady due to affordability purposes. I am planning to venture into the Berger realm when I can get a custom barrel on my rifle. Because I don't plan on shooting anything heavier than 200 grain pills, I am planning on going with a 1:11 twist which should decrease my pressures and give some better velocities. I am planning on stepping back to the 190 grain Bergers or JLK's that will give me the equivilant BC's of the 200gr SMK's.

Good Luck on your build,
Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 10-09-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Checking his questions!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Gold Member

by all means install a muzzel brake regardless of your choice of cartridge. the major reason being that it will allow you to see your own hits. a big plus for long range hunting.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

Thanks again everyone!!!

@Feenix - yes, i'll admit to wanting more down-range zap! I was looking at one of the gunsmith partners here for the poop on muzzle-brake/installation, but he's pretty well booked with work for the time being. Was also considering the Nosler AB in 180gr and with the .300 RUM a 200gr becomes a viable component, but like more what i've read about the Scirroco (though not available in 200gr size.....).

@Tank - I don't possess thousands of brass casings for the .300 Win, i've shot thousands (in the neighborhood of around 3,000). With my first rifle, i was getting around 2,900fps with the 190gr SMK, but backed off a bit for a more accurate load (can't remember exactly how much - it's been like 12 years since then).

As to pills, i'm most interested in the non-lead tip bullets which don't deform in the box (or when i drop them..... ). The rifle will tell me which one it likes the best, but i do have preferences with which i'd start.

I currently serve the Lord over here, so when He's done with me here, i'll get real serious about putting this project on the hot-burner. I'll just have to buy every thing all over again (sold it all at a critical stage of my life in Him).

THanks again,

frank
Old 10-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
I currently serve the Lord over here, so when He's done with me here, i'll get real serious about putting this project on the hot-burner. I'll just have to buy every thing all over again (sold it all at a critical stage of my life in Him)
Good to hear. Stay safe and I'll offer up a prayer for you.

I'm really looking at the 7RUM for a 1 gun do all. 'I've been told' at 400yds it holds more energy than the 300RUM, and you can get the Wildcat 200g bullet with insane BC for even more performance. I think that's a great gun to build.

On another note, I'd really really like to have a two-gun rig. Two guns built identically, one in something like 6mmBRDX and the other in 338 Norma Mag. The only difference would be brakes. I don't think I'd put a brake on the 6mm, but the 338 would definitely need one. This brake would probably be a Kirby Allen Painkiller. I'd like both rifles to be the same weight, same trigger and stocks and same glass. This way, as long as you have the correct bullets (!!!) both guns would feel the same, promoting consistency, and where I come from, consistency = accuracy. Then, you'd have something that truly could do everything from varmints and predators up to the bear/whatever at whatever distances.

God bless,
Tim.
Rom 10:13