Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

1903A4 Springfield is a shooter!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Bronze Member

1903A4 Springfield is a shooter!

Got this Gibbs 1903A4 Springfield Sniper 30-06 about 3 years ago. Never shot it much. I had a good load with for my Garand with the 168 MatchKing, but the Gibbs didn't like it much(1.5" group). Played around a little with the 125 Ballistic tips and it would shoot them into 1".

I decided to sell it a couple of months ago and had three takers but they all changed their minds because of a small chip in the stock. So I figure, might as well do some serious load workup and see if the rifle will shoot. I wanted a long range bullet in the 150g range for whitetail deer, so I chose two to try. The 155 Hornady AMAX and the Berger 155 VLD Hunting. I started out with a medium load of Varget. This is the first groups...

The AMAX was a success on the first try but I wasn't satisfied with the Berger. The first batch of Bergers had 030 jump, so I decide to move closer. The next batch was only .005 jump and did great.

Now i'm ready to start moving out to 300 and then 600 yds and see how she does, but i'm tickled so far!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 1903A4 Springfield is a shooter!

Very nice! I have an original A3 Reminton that shoots sub MOA with Hornady FMJ 150gr, 56.5 IMR 4350. Those old Springfields are shooters! We shoot Vintage 300/600 Sniper competition. The shooters with the A4's with Unertyl's shoot some incredible scores.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt