Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

180 Berger VLD expansion mystery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: 180 Berger VLD expansion mystery

old mossy

please post a link to the new thread

Thanks!

KB
Old 12-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmossy View Post
Got deer processed today. As stated earlier, both shoulders broken. With a small exit hole. The internal damage is very good. I'm not sure how a wound channel like that had such a small exit hole. Anyway, video downloading to youtube as I write this. Its saying 200 minutes left for download to be complete.
Did you find any bullet fragments while processing?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Did you find any bullet fragments while processing?

Mark, have you seen the wound channel in the video? Take a look and see what you think, especially wound channel size in far shoulder. My opinion is it expanded and maybe only part exited? But it sure dispatched him quickly. Good info from a 7 RUM with a 180 Berger at a pretty high impact velocity.

Here is a link to the vid.

160 yrds longrange? How about for a 5 year old?

Jeff

Old 12-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Mark, have you seen the wound channel in the video? Take a look and see what you think, especially wound channel size in far shoulder. My opinion is it expanded and maybe only part exited? But it sure dispatched him quickly. Good info from a 7 RUM with a 180 Berger at a pretty high impact velocity.

Here is a link to the vid.

160 yrds longrange? How about for a 5 year old?

Jeff

Yup Jeff, I saw it. Although there was a lot of damage I didn't clearly see the wound channel except the for the exit which looked quite large. I agree it looks like the bullet expanded and a small part of it exited but the OP didn't mention finding any fragments and I didn't see any. I have never seen an exit wound like that, that showed a large hole in the flesh and a small one in the hide. Were there fragments under the hide? Did the bullet tumble and exit point or tail first? Was the damage due to hydraulic effect?

If there were fragments, case solved. If not, it remains a mystery.

And yup, the bullet did its job one way or another. I just like to learn the details to have a better understanding of these sort of anomalies.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

I've observed three animals, two dall rams and one black bear, that were struck with solid body hits broadside thru the ribs by bullets that didn't expand. The animals were eventually recovered and non-professionally 'autopsied' during field dressing and processing. The two rams did nothing more than jump and reposition upon being struck. The black bear hesitated and then took off running.

The wound channels looked nothing like the wound channel on this deer, and the exit holes were caliber diameter. No different than the entrance holes. I am confident this Berger expanded, based on observation of the video. This exit hole is at least twice the bullet diameter. The damage to surrounding muscle is substantial. Non-expanding bullets that don't tumble cause very little damage to the tissue surrounded the wound path. The exit hole is the same size as the entrance hole. And they don't drop DRT unless they're brained or spined close to the skull.

That's one happy boy, who will always remember this hunt!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

I didn't see any bullet fragments. While skinning deer, I heard what sounded like a bullet fragment hitting the concrete floor. Upon investigating the sound, I found it to be a chunk of bone. The leg bone was in many many pieces. But no trace of bullet fragments were found. I am no longer concerned about these bullets. Not that I was too much to begin with. 17 and counting. Doe season opens soon. And this year I'm prepared for some long range videoing. I got several friends with tags, including myself with three. Hope to get some kills on here soon. Go berger!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmossy View Post
I'm sure the tip was not damaged. I always inspect my bullet.
I was under the impression that velocity is what deterimed expansion. Is it possible that at that close of a distance,something prevents it from having normal expansion? Ive had a couple people say it was traveling too fast and didn't have time to expand. This goes against how I thought things worked, I do not believe this. But then again, I've found out through this website and extensive home research and experimentation that things don't always work like I once believed they did.
Is there anyway this "too close for expansion" theory is possible?
It may have in fact expanded. I had similar issues with Nosler BT's especially on big hogs. What happened was that at close range they opened so much and so quickly basically the bullet turned inside out with the petals folding outward and all the way back such that the base became the leading edge. I recovered quite a few of them but prior to those recoveries I thought they were not expanding at all and just penciling through.