Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is the .17 Remington all that?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Is the .17 Remington all that?

I could really use a gun to shoot med. distances for coyotes. Looking for the least amount of pelt damage. I have heard that the .17 may be difficult to clean and also heard that the bullets fragment at high velocities. Have I heard correctly? What do you think of the .17?
Old 05-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Is the .17 Remington all that?

I have a mod.7 that started life as a .223 and is now a .17 rem. Its taken coyotes, bobcat, lynx, and fox without a bad pelt. Bullet selection is the key. ballistic tips work the best for this one. range is maxed out at 250 yds for a clean kill but that is pushing it. When I first loaded for it I was shooting light bullets as fast as possable and some came out sand but once I got the right bullet and came down to 4100 she works fine.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

It is not so much that the 17 Rem is hard to clean as it used to be hard to get quality cleaning rods and cutting the correct size patch is difficult. There are better quality rods nowdays. If you have the correct cleaning gear and don't try to muscle the rod you will be all right. Of course that is easy advice to give and hard to follow. Obviously the rod will be a thin whippy little thing.

Go to the "Handloading" section of this forum and then go back to page 26 "Bobcats" date of 1-3-05 for a discussion by Chris Matthews on pelt damage.

I have always shot the 25 grain Hornady hollow points (except for a few Sisks long ago)and have no experence with them on coyotes. They will take the head off of a squirrel or cottontail at 200 yards with ease and further if you can get into a decent shooting position. Thats how you avoid meat damage. Right now I only have it loaded to about 3850 fps because I do not need the extra speed. Berger makes some interesting bullets, but I have not tried any of them.

If you think the 17 Rem is a quiet gun, think again. It makes some amount racket when it goes off, no recoil, but some fair amount of a sharp report, kind of a good crack.

In my opinion, the 17 Rem is the most fun to reload of all bullets. You would think that it would be a pain fiddling with the tiny little things but its not. I have had mine for over thirty years and would never sell it because it is just too much fun.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

There is little question that a 17 Remington, or any variation, is a controversial chambering. Some swear by it and others swear at it.

You will loose some animals with a seventeen, and you will blow up some hides. If you limit your shots to perhaps 150 yards, on standing broadside coyotes, you should do okay. But, if you make a bad hit with a seventeen, you are going to rip some hide.....which makes it no different than anything else.

On those "no exit" 100 yard presentations, a 17 Remington is (indeed), impressive. But you will also see failures, sooner or later.

Anyway, when I think of Montana, and "med. distances" I suspect you have in mind (possibly) more like 300 yards? I know I do! There is no way to make a consistant 300 yard coyote rifle out of a seventeen.
(please, spare me the vivid, single event testimonials)

I think a 19/223 or maybe a Tac20 might come closer to your goal, if you seek minimal damage in a sub-caliber?

But. If it were me, I'd just get a 22-250 and select a suitable bullet for your application, that will (for sure) kill coyotes at 300 yards. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Yeah, maybe not as sexy, but has been getting the job done for many years. And, my goal is bang/flop. They should be lying right there when I walk out. No running fifty yards through the brush before they give it up.

BTW, for a several day hunt, with numerous opportunities every day, yes, you may be forced to clean a seventeen every 15/20 shots, to maintain accuracy.

Good luck with your choice, LB
Old 05-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Silver Member

Troutslayer
You might want to check out www.woodchuckden.com(under news) for an article on the "Tact 20" and the 33grain V-max on varmints.
As LB said in a sub cal. the 20 might do the trick.
I know the 20 Var-targ is also a great shooter.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

Everything these guys have said is correct. I shoot the 20gr V-Max to about 4200. Mine does foul pretty quickly, but if you plan to get a custom barrel, this will be reduced quite a bit. The biggest advantage I see with the load I'm using is lack of ricochet. When I'm shooting in an area where I want the bullet to stop as soon as it hits the target (read varmint), I use my 17 Rem. I imagine this may not be a consideration for you in Montana. For definite kills, I also keep it within 200yds. Out past that, I can most likely make the hit, but have found on groundhogs that they usually make it back to their holes (assuming a head shot isn't made). It's a really fun rifle to shoot though. Whoever made the comment about it being loud was absolutely correct. This thing really has a sharp crack to it. I was amazed the first time I ever shot it.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

If your really interested in the .17 I would sugguest going here http://www.coyotegods.com/ubb/forum.shtml

and just look around a bit these guys love them, I have been kicking it around for a long time to build a custom .17 Mach IV but my .223 Ackley serves me fine for now.. I can get 40 grain pills to go 4k