Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

168 SMK and ELK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

168 SMK and ELK

I'm headed out for a cow elk hunt after Thanksgiving. I am shooting some 168gr SMK through my 30-06 at around 2930. Would any of you try these for this purpose? My main rifle is a 300 win shooting 180gr SGK. I will only use the 30-06 for a backup rifle. If it comes down to me needing to use it, what conditions would yo prefer for the 168? High Shoulder, No Bone, etc.? Thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 168 SMK and ELK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
Would any of you try these for this purpose?
no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
My main rifle is a 300 win shooting 180gr SGK. I will only use the 30-06 for a backup rifle. If it comes down to me needing to use it, what conditions would yo prefer for the 168? High Shoulder, No Bone, etc.? Thanks
Well based on my reply above, I would not consider the SMK anyway. I've used these and have had friends use these on little Alabama whitetails with mixed results. Mostly, these bullets redefine "penciling" through for us, far worse than any Barnes bullet. So, even though I know many disagree with my view, I'd suggest you use a different bullet in the 30.06. That said, if this is not a consideration for you, then I would most definitely aim for shoulder and the thickest part of it at that. At least in that case, the impact should shatter enough bone to reach the spine region and hopefully shock the animal well enough to kill it or put it down for good so you can put a finishing shot in it.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:33 AM
Gold Member

I'm not a classic heart lung broad side shooter. I have the best not move from the spot kills forward from the shoulders neck shots. or straight on chest. or right between the eyes looking at me

I was trying to think of other elk.................. I got one after calling that got spooked like 75 degree angle trotting away and I had to aim in an opening where I thought it would go . I did not want to hit guts so I shot high in th rib cage and the bullet went out inside its front shoulder by its neck. It kind of trotted another 30 yrds and piled up

Elk are not tuff I've got then all with one shot kills and my first was with a 30-6 I'm a spine or head shooter. I got awy from lung broad side when I had a deer run a 1/2 mile and nearly lost it as it.

bullet weight. You want something to expand and not blow up. On the other ennd of the scale you don't want hard copper hpbt's that go through a 1/2 inch of steel.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If you have another option, I would use it. If you must use the 168 SMK, you would be wise to avoid bone and keep the range at 150 yards or less.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

Mixed results from me and my buds using the .308 Win/168 SMK combo 12 - 15 years ago.

We quit using them. Some penciled through, some blew up on contact. We went back to quality hunting bullets and have been much happier.

Enjoy the hunt! It should be a hoot, no matter what bullet/rifle you choose.

Regards, Guy