Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

168 grain vld loads

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 223
Why don't the 150 Sciroccos get more attention?

Last year I developed accurate loads with 168 Bergers @2960 fps and 160 Accubonds @3040 fps and discovered that neither of them could carry water to the 150 Sciroccos @ 3166 fps. The Sciroccos didn't shoot as well as the Accubonds but dropped 60" less at 1000 yds and shot better and bucked the wind better than the 168 Bergers with approximately the same amount of drop.

I like the Accubonds and the Bergers but feel that Sciroccos aren't given enough consideration. Give them a try. I often use 7RM loads to start in my 7WSM (due to a lack of data) so I have no reason to believe that the reverse wouldn't be true. My pet load is a Fed GM215M behind 62 grs of H4350 pushing on a 150 Scirocco.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-15-2008, 05:17 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Georgetown TN
Posts: 49
If you contact Berger, they will send you some loading information.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-16-2008, 05:31 PM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Buffalo, Wyoming
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross View Post
Why don't the 150 Sciroccos get more attention?

Last year I developed accurate loads with 168 Bergers @2960 fps and 160 Accubonds @3040 fps and discovered that neither of them could carry water to the 150 Sciroccos @ 3166 fps. The Sciroccos didn't shoot as well as the Accubonds but dropped 60" less at 1000 yds and shot better and bucked the wind better than the 168 Bergers with approximately the same amount of drop.

I like the Accubonds and the Bergers but feel that Sciroccos aren't given enough consideration. Give them a try. I often use 7RM loads to start in my 7WSM (due to a lack of data) so I have no reason to believe that the reverse wouldn't be true. My pet load is a Fed GM215M behind 62 grs of H4350 pushing on a 150 Scirocco.

The 150 Sciroccos will not outperform the Berger....

It has a BC of .515 vs. a .643 of the Berger 168 VLD.
__________________
Lightforce Lights Dealer
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero_Man View Post
The 150 Sciroccos will not outperform the Berger....

It has a BC of .515 vs. a .643 of the Berger 168 VLD.
I'll not dispute the better BC of the Berger. My family started using Bergers for hunting last year and had excellent results. I'm only advocating that Sciroccos are great bullets and well worth a look. Very accurate, hard enough to penetrate on close shots and soft enough to deform on long shots. I think they're under- represented by long range shooters.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-18-2008, 09:55 PM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Buffalo, Wyoming
Posts: 1,653
the 60 inches of drop difference is a little off.. 18 inches is more like it.

***ALL drops are at 1000 yards at 4500 asl ,10 mph 3 o'clock wind***

the 150 running 3166 fps drops 227.4 and drifts 56.6 inches

the 160 running 3040 fps drops 245.8 and drifts 57.8 inches

the 168 running 3040 fps drops 223.7 and drifts 45.6 inches



all run on EXBAL software.
__________________
Lightforce Lights Dealer
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 177
vlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross View Post
I'll not dispute the better BC of the Berger. My family started using Bergers for hunting last year and had excellent results. I'm only advocating that Sciroccos are great bullets and well worth a look. Very accurate, hard enough to penetrate on close shots and soft enough to deform on long shots. I think they're under- represented by long range shooters.
I agree. I have learned from reading everyones posts is at those long ranges, a softer, more streamlined bullet is needed to get out there and touch them. I use sciroccos and barnes tsx 150s in my 308 win, but I am shooting less than 200 yards and I feel more comfortable with having weight retention. I have been shooting a lot to extend my effective range and once I get there, I will be using vlds.

Thanks to everyone for the great info and experiences past on to newbies like me.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: So. IN
Posts: 174
7mmRM loads

Berger 168 VLD jammed into the lands
Win Brass
Fed215M
71.5 grns of Retumbo
3100FPS via 28" tube


Berger 168 VLD jammed into the lands
Win Brass
Fed215M
64.5 grns of RL19
3050FPS via 28" tube

Last edited by FRANK21; 02-19-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 168 grain vld loads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.270 Win 110 grain loads? Greycat Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 13 07-11-2013 02:20 PM
300 RUM Loads for 200 Grain Accubond rangerman Reloading 6 07-24-2011 10:44 PM
300 RUM Loads with 208 Grain Amax rangerman Reloading 4 02-10-2011 08:56 PM
6.5-06 AI 100 grain loads arthurj Reloading 0 01-08-2011 11:26 AM
75 grain a-max loads shawn68 Reloading 4 02-14-2007 09:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC