Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

168 Berger Hybrid

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,072
168 Berger Hybrid

Anybody using this bullet for hunting or target use?
__________________
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
Re: 168 Berger Hybrid

Run the VLD over 44.8 gr RL 15 in 308. Loaded to fit detachable magazine so well off lands but shoots 1/4" groups at 2700.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,072
Re: 168 Berger Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricehombre View Post
Run the VLD over 44.8 gr RL 15 in 308. Loaded to fit detachable magazine so well off lands but shoots 1/4" groups at 2700.
Have tested it out to 1000yds yet? I'm thinking about trying some F-class this year and want to see what people think of it to that distance.
__________________
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 394
Re: 168 Berger Hybrid

Tank, what chambering? I'm sure you've thought about the 180, but I figure I'd toss it out there.
__________________
Laus Deo
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,149
Re: 168 Berger Hybrid

Haven't tried them yet, read about them though .519 G1 .266 G7, the 185's were .567 G1 can't remember the G7 either should be good for f-class.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,072
Re: 168 Berger Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Tank, what chambering? I'm sure you've thought about the 180, but I figure I'd toss it out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
Haven't tried them yet, read about them though .519 G1 .266 G7, the 185's were .567 G1 can't remember the G7 either should be good for f-class.
Good: .308 Winny


I've thought about the 185's, the 175's in OTM, SMK, CC, and Berger VLD. I'm boiling it down to recoil control for sustained shooting w/o a break. I'm thinking that the 185's will require a close to max load to get good velocity. The 175's though 10grains lighter will still require a close to max load for good velocity. The 168's will give less recoil, and will be able to get away with a medium load and still be at a good velocity especially with the Hybrid. I'm assuming I can run the bullet right around 2650-2700 fps to get enough velocity to be accurate and balanced at 1000yds. The reason I am wanting the 168 is due to my barrel just loving the 168NBT's. However they don't do well past 850 with the load I am using as a hunting load. I can probably push them faster, but I figure I can use this load to shoot at 800yds and shorter. When I need to go farther, than that is when I can use the 168 Hybrid. Am I thinking straight, or am I putting to much thought in to this adventure?
__________________
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 394
Re: 168 Berger Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Good: .308 Winny


I've thought about the 185's, the 175's in OTM, SMK, CC, and Berger VLD. I'm boiling it down to recoil control for sustained shooting w/o a break. I'm thinking that the 185's will require a close to max load to get good velocity. The 175's though 10grains lighter will still require a close to max load for good velocity. The 168's will give less recoil, and will be able to get away with a medium load and still be at a good velocity especially with the Hybrid. I'm assuming I can run the bullet right around 2650-2700 fps to get enough velocity to be accurate and balanced at 1000yds. The reason I am wanting the 168 is due to my barrel just loving the 168NBT's. However they don't do well past 850 with the load I am using as a hunting load. I can probably push them faster, but I figure I can use this load to shoot at 800yds and shorter. When I need to go farther, than that is when I can use the 168 Hybrid. Am I thinking straight, or am I putting to much thought in to this adventure?
Oh, Roger that. I was thinking .284.
__________________
Laus Deo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 168 Berger Hybrid
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More Berger 300 Hybrid Gen 2 testing Shawn Carlock Long Range Hunting & Shooting 54 11-28-2011 04:17 PM
New 215 and 230 .30cal hybrid Berger gcamp54 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 2 11-10-2011 06:38 PM
berger 230 hybrid Chase Curtis Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 11-05-2011 05:18 PM
The Berger 300 gr Hybrid Gen 2 Shawn Carlock Long Range Hunting & Shooting 31 10-31-2011 07:59 AM
.308 230 grn Hybrid Berger? durak Long Range Hunting & Shooting 10 08-28-2011 10:09 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC