Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

155 grn Berger vld or 125 grn nosler ballistic tip?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 155 grn Berger vld or 125 grn nosler ballistic tip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington5r View Post
I don't quite know if you understand. I will be using a 210 grain Long range Accubonds for my elk and long range deer loads. I want to use a light fast bullets for thin skinned antelope deer and coyotes because I want limited penetration and lots of hydrostatic shock to knock them down in their tracks. I have been successful at achieving this goal with both the vld and the ballistic tip. I am just having a hard time deciding between which one to stick with.
I think they do understand. What you might very well have if you use those bullets at those velocities is a surface explosion at close ranges. I assure you, if you hit an antelope with a 215 berger from a 300 WM at any distance from point plank to way out there, it will not go anywhere far. I have shot quite a few antelope, mostly with a 7mm and 160 Nosler Partitions which did not make a huge wound channel and they did not go anywhere.

Do as you please.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-22-2013, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

For lightweight/warp speed application on game, something along the lines of the Barnes 130gr TTSX may rate consideration.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine View Post
For lightweight/warp speed application on game, something along the lines of the Barnes 130gr TTSX may rate consideration.
Agreed... or 150 E-Tip

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am stuck on choosing between a 155 grain berger vld hunting or a 125 grain nosler ballistic tip hunting out of my remington 5r in 300 winchester magnum. I am pushing the 125 grain bullets at 3650 fps and my 155 grain bullets at 3500. Their trajectories and accuracy are nearly identical. I would use these bullets for deer, antelope, and coyotes. I am leaning toward the Vld what do you guys think?
Both are way too light and the 125's are flat explosive at those velocities and more likely to horribly wound than to kill.

Start with Accbonds, Interbond, Scirocco II etc in 165gr or higher and you'll have much better results.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't quite know if you understand. I will be using a 210 grain Long range Accubonds for my elk and long range deer loads. I want to use a light fast bullets for thin skinned antelope deer and coyotes because I want limited penetration and lots of hydrostatic shock to knock them down in their tracks. I have been successful at achieving this goal with both the vld and the ballistic tip. I am just having a hard time deciding between which one to stick with.
Put it where it needs to be with a bullet that passes through and they don't run far. You don't want to be hitting them with bombs that blow off large chunks of meat and do not kill cleanly.

You also want pass through shots for those times when you miss the vitals and they do run so you have a good blood trail to follow. Bullets that punch the skin and then explode inside and do not exit make for very tough tracking.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
If you have a rifle that will both shoot 210gr bullets and 125gr bullets with good accuracy then you have something special that I've never seen or heard of.

In my experience twist will limit that and getting lightweight for caliber bullets to shoot accurately in the over 3100fps range from a 30 caliber magnum of any type is something I've never accomplished or seen done.

All that being said, Nosler now makes the 30cal 125gr AccBond for those antelope shots you have mentioned and you won't have to worry about them coming apart at those extreme magnum velocities if you DO get them to shoot accurately. Good luck with that....

By the way I bought mine at Midway and they still have some....
Nosler AccuBond Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 125 Grain Spitzer Boat

Bob
Old 12-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
If you already have first hand experience with both, why are you asking someone else what works best? You were there.....what worked best?