Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

1500 yd PD Attempt: Take 3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2006, 08:44 PM
SPONSOR

1500 yd PD Attempt: Take 3

Well, Lerch and I decided that the conditions just weren't going to get much better, so we set out Saturday to acheive the next leg in VHA's downrange clubs.

After a few minor hangups (this having a kid thing sure does make me late to alot of things), we finally arrived @ our perch. Winds were light for around here (5-10 mph) and the temp was about 55 degrees.

We were going to try and use the Wilde a little more and actually range each individual dog we were going to be shooting. After a quick calibration check, we went to work. I sent the first few round down range and it was clear that either we were not running near the velocity we had been (b/c of the temp) or our ranging was off. Even though something wasn't right, it seemed to be consistant so we figured out a method to the madness and were soon very close to dogs on the first shot.

I don't know how many dogs we missed by less than 6" inches but I would say that 50% of our shots got this close!! The proble is, the little suckers are so skiddish that they run @ the sight of an impact cloud. Maybe it has something to do w/people like the jackass we saw shooting them from the road. He paid no attention to us and just parked his truck in the road and started banging away. When he had scared all the dogs there, he would just pull up a little and start over. We honked and waived but to no avail. I wanted to put one of those 169.5 WCs about 50 yds in front of him in the road but decided that might not be the best thing to do.

Anyway, I managed to spot a dog on the hillside that is far from the road. There aren't many dogs on that hill but you can usually get a few shots @ the same one before he scurries down a hole. Lerch got a range and I let one fly. High, dangit. I made the adjustments and let another go. I kicked dirt on the little sucker and he didn't even move!!! I quickly sent another one downrange and it was just as close as the other shot but he disappeared down a hole only to appear a few seconds later. I gave it one last try and as the bullet impacted and the impact cloud cleared, Lerch and I sat in total silence. It appeared as if the dog was lying dead on the mound!!! I had done it!! I was more exited about this than most deer I had killed!!

After much deliberation we decided that we should walk over and take some pics and get an exact range w/the Swaro off the truck. I strapped the 17 lb 270 AM to my back and Lerch grabbed the camera and the Swaro. Many steps later, and pretty dang tired, we arived @ what we thought was the mound. There was a clear bulliet impact on it but no dog!!! I don't know what we were seeing through the spotter but it was not a dead pd. We went ahead and ranged the truck anyway and as it turned out, it was only 1465 yds. I think I would have been more upset if I would have killed it only to find that it was 45 yds short.

We made the almost 1 mile trek back to the truck and tried a few more shots but luck just wasn't on our side. All in all it was a good day and I learned that Wilde was going to be very tough to use on pds in heavy mirage. That little sucker just jumps around. It's very hard to tell when he is exactly lined up.

We were also very impressed w/the consistancy were getting from the 270 AMs. I have no doubt they were shooting sub MOA from 1500-1700 yds!!! They were head and shoulders above my 300 RUM when we got over 1600 yds. That seems to be about the limit for the 300 but the 270s just keep on keepin' on even @ that range. If those dang dogs were just the size of milk jugs and not beer cans we would have killed several!!!! Oh well, next time it will happen (that sounds awful familiar)!!!

I had some pics but lost them on the computer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. If I can find them, I'll post them.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 1500 yd PD Attempt: Take 3

you need to feed those critters better and they will get fat and make bigger targets.

P.S. Welcome to parenthood. As they get older they take up more of your time not less.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
As they get older they take up more of your time not less.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can be a good thing. We just got our 7 year old a motorcycle for Christmas. Now guess who is in charge of taping the holes on the long range paper targets. A helmet, a motorcycle, a roll of tape and a walkietalkie. What could make a dad happier? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2006, 10:26 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
you need to feed those critters better and they will get fat and make bigger targets.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I've thought about this. What if a guy took a sack of corn and dumped it out 1520 yds from our bench? Maybe they would keep coming back to that spot so the range would not be an issue. May have to try it!!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Bill:

Sounds like you're getting closer. The 'ol 270 AM is up to the task, but maybe you need a little more to buck the wind better. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

We're up here hunting critters in the snow and you're down there in the banana belt hunting PDs. All the little critters up here are way underground trying to stay warm.

Even if you fattened them up they'd still be an awfully small target. Keep it up, it's just a matter of time.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Bill Bailey,

Hitting a target at that range has alot to do with luck as you well know. And thats coming from the guy that built your rifles.

You are beginning to see why I much prefer chucks to prairie dogs for extreme range shooting. An average chuck will weigh around 5 to 6 lbs with our big ones pushing 10 lbs. The biggest we have ever taken was an honest 16 lbs!!!

Now the bigger ones are basically the same size as a domestic house cat but with shorter legs!!! That is a hell of alot bigger target then a P. Dog!!!

Keep at it, it will happen!!

Its kind of like bow hunters looking to robin hood their first arrow at 30 yards. I shot archery gear for 5 years and got pretty damn good before I robin hooded my first one. Funny thing, a week after that I did it again, two more times!!! Since then I have yet to do it since, its all luck and it can come all at once or spaced very far apart!!!

Your doing the right thing, keep doing it, keep learning and stick with it, it will happen I assure you.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-23-2006, 05:22 AM
Gold Member

Nice report Bill. You fellows are sure making my mouth water on getting behind one of Kirby's AM's. Those hogs won't know what hit them. LOL

As for your new one. Well as has been said, the older they get the more time they take up. Fortunately it isn't a bad thing when you start them out young taking them with ya. Both my daughter and grandson have been in the woods since they were old enough to keep their feet under them. Yes it is a little more cumbersom, and you might not get to be out there quite as long at first, but as time rolls on, you will find they will tough it out as long and sometimes longer than you.

Good luck on your next outing and get those pics up, always like to see the other guy's hunting fields.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"