Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

This 1000yd Stuff Is Expensive

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 05-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,566
Re: This 1000yd Stuff Is Expensive

Personally I'd say quit waisting your money trying to shoot groups at 1,000yds.

The only shot that really matters when hunting is the first cold bore shot.

If the rifle will group sub MOA you've already done all the group shooting you need to do.

I'd say just focus on those cold bore shots and you'll save a tremendous amount of money.

If you want to shoot groups at long range get something more economical to shoot like the .308 as suggested above or even a .260. For the difference in the cost of ammo you'd pay for the smaller rifle pretty quickly; especially with a .308 since there's such an abundance of reasonably priced ammo for it.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West
Posts: 113
Re: This 1000yd Stuff Is Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Personally I'd say quit waisting your money trying to shoot groups at 1,000yds.

The only shot that really matters when hunting is the first cold bore shot.

If the rifle will group sub MOA you've already done all the group shooting you need to do.

I'd say just focus on those cold bore shots and you'll save a tremendous amount of money.

If you want to shoot groups at long range get something more economical to shoot like the .308 as suggested above or even a .260. For the difference in the cost of ammo you'd pay for the smaller rifle pretty quickly; especially with a .308 since there's such an abundance of reasonably priced ammo for it.
Yep I agree on the first shot needs to count. Exactly why I will shoot as much as I can at the distances needed. Sure all the other stuff helps, but it is not the same. The only way to learn to really read, wind, terrain, etc., is to shoot a lot and to shoot some rounds relatively close together in time to compare POI.
Shooting one round, waiting a day, shooting one round is not going to get me the experience needed, but it will help.
I am already onto a different rifle, and will start with a current 223 I have. Cost savings in the long run will easily cover the cost a new rifle. I just don't have the spare $1500 bucks laying around to buy a rifle and quality scope.

Regardless this 1000yd shooting, is the most expensive shooting I have encountered.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 865
Re: This 1000yd Stuff Is Expensive

Not that it matters...but I did a little figuring on the cost of shooting. This DOES NOT take into account the cost of the action scope, trigger...ect.....just the cost of components (which I consider a bbl to be) AND GUNSMITHING COSTS.

I based my figures on my 300 wby IBS 1000 LG. Built it 6 years and seven BBLS ago. When I figure the cost of the actual ammo parts, PLUS the cost of the BBL and the smithing costs....I come in at $2.00 every time I pull the trigger. I figure 80 gr of powder, Berger 210 VLD's. I figure around 1000 rounds of compeditive accuracy per tube. I figure 5 loadings per (norma) case.

Now, to be fair.....I flute my bbls to make weight. I know lots of you guys flute yours too. I have a muzzle brake installed, but I only have one break...I just switch it when I swich tubes. Lots of you guys also use breaks. This adds to the cost.

I added a 6.5 WSSM to the mix...for FUN stuff...cheaper to shoot.

I say get a second gun...or get another bbl in a smaller, cheaper caliber. If you need to get a second bolt to make things work, do it......they're just parts, and can be resold later.

This is for my bench gun, but I shoot a 300 wby in my hunting gun, and the costs are the same for both.


Just my .02
Tod
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,566
Re: This 1000yd Stuff Is Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelamin View Post
Yep I agree on the first shot needs to count. Exactly why I will shoot as much as I can at the distances needed. Sure all the other stuff helps, but it is not the same. The only way to learn to really read, wind, terrain, etc., is to shoot a lot and to shoot some rounds relatively close together in time to compare POI.
Shooting one round, waiting a day, shooting one round is not going to get me the experience needed, but it will help.
I am already onto a different rifle, and will start with a current 223 I have. Cost savings in the long run will easily cover the cost a new rifle. I just don't have the spare $1500 bucks laying around to buy a rifle and quality scope.

Regardless this 1000yd shooting, is the most expensive shooting I have encountered.
You don't have to wait a day or even an hour to see how repeatable your cold bore shots are.

A single shot with a 5-10 minute wait will allow your barrel and chamber to return to "cold bore" status just fine especially if you leave the bolt open between shots.

One of the big problems with trying to shoot the groups is that when you go from shooting a clean bore cold bore shot, to three or five successive shots you are "changing the canvass" so to speak in that the conditions under which your first shot was fired no longer exist unless you clean between shots.

Of course this is why I never shoot a freshly cleaned barrel. Even after a thorough cleaning I'll put 3 quick fouling shots through it if I'm going to be carrying it or taking it on a hunt.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 2,608
Re: This 1000yd Stuff Is Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You don't have to wait a day or even an hour to see how repeatable your cold bore shots are.

A single shot with a 5-10 minute wait will allow your barrel and chamber to return to "cold bore" status just fine especially if you leave the bolt open between shots.

One of the big problems with trying to shoot the groups is that when you go from shooting a clean bore cold bore shot, to three or five successive shots you are "changing the canvass" so to speak in that the conditions under which your first shot was fired no longer exist unless you clean between shots.

Of course this is why I never shoot a freshly cleaned barrel. Even after a thorough cleaning I'll put 3 quick fouling shots through it if I'm going to be carrying it or taking it on a hunt.
Yep.

I've heard that before... wait a day, shoot, wait a day, shoot...
Why not wait a month so that the conditions really change?
And, never shot from/to the same location?

Shooting groups has it's place.

Doing as you say is just as effective for a hunter. And, you can come back and practice the next day too.

Another thing you can do is to setup multiple targets at varying distances so that you gain confidence in dialing or holdoff.

Almost any practice is better than banging away on a keyboard.

-- richard
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,566
Re: This 1000yd Stuff Is Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Yep.

I've heard that before... wait a day, shoot, wait a day, shoot...
Why not wait a month so that the conditions really change?
And, never shot from/to the same location?

Shooting groups has it's place.

Doing as you say is just as effective for a hunter. And, you can come back and practice the next day too.

Another thing you can do is to setup multiple targets at varying distances so that you gain confidence in dialing or holdoff.

Almost any practice is better than banging away on a keyboard.

-- richard
There was a time in my life where I'd sit in a hide and wait days for a single shot. I'm not into that any more HA!

Once I have a rifle "dialed in" I see no "need" to keep banging away with it, but I do like to just take snap shots to test both my speed/accuracy as well as to see how well the rifle holds zero along with just practicing range estimation.

I'm blessed to have a large field full of white rocks bordering my place on the north (ever see a farmer who'd get in a snit out of someone destroying the rocks in his field?) as well as some ridges to the south and west with the same white rocks. At any range you KNOW where you hit because the impacts are about like hitting a bag of flour.

This also very much mirrors how I do a great deal of both my meat and predator hunting and I like to keep my "practice" as realistic as possible

The first thing I figured out about my 300 Rum was the fact I enjoyed shooting the damned thing WAY too much!

Back to how long to wait... .

As long as you aren't taking successive shots 3-5 at a time in fairly short intervals your bbl and chamber will return to ambient temperature very quickly.

One/Two shots, 10 minutes and you'll be fine.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: This 1000yd Stuff Is Expensive
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your cheapest and most expensive 100 yd sub-moa gun dust General Discussion 16 01-07-2011 11:57 AM
Is this an expensive build? Tikkamike Gunsmithing 5 08-25-2010 08:48 PM
Why are US Optics so expensive? 500grains Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 13 06-28-2009 08:00 AM
silencers are they really this expensive tjonh2001 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 12 02-15-2008 04:58 PM
Not too expensive scope? captdavid Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 13 07-01-2007 08:44 AM

Current Poll
Do You Think Slingshots Should Be Legalized For Hunting Brown Bear?
Yes - 47.09%
890 Votes
No - 52.91%
1,000 Vote
Total Votes: 1,890
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC