Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

This 1000yd Stuff Is Expensive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Silver Member

This 1000yd Stuff Is Expensive

Ok just hear me out. I decided on killing a bull or buck at 1000yds. Spent the initial to get set up, load development, etc., and shooting a decent rifle more then capable of 1000yards. Have another 1k or so to spend on needed gear. I can live with this as it is gear and accessories that will last a long time.

WELL MAYBE!!??

I have been practicing on weekends, and this poo is costing me a ton of money. I am intentionally not shooting as much as I would like due to the cost. I have limited myself to no more then 30 rounds, and spend my time training not just burning ammo. I track and document every 3 round group. It will be one month this weekend...and 100 bucks burned up in just ammo. This is practicing minimally in my view, and had hoped to be shooting 2-3 times as much.

I have tried the 22, .223 and others at long range for practice...but 1000yds is a totally different animal.

Open to any suggestions if there are any on how I can get some real world 1000 yard training in on less cash outlay. Maybe more cost initially but at the current rate my ammo cost alone (not counting wore out barrel) is killing me.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:16 AM
Gold Member

Re: This 1000yd Stuff Is Expensive

You don't mention whether you are reloading or purchasing your ammo. What caliber?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:27 AM
Silver Member

Well, try to find a way to make shooting fun. No more paper targets. Golf balls, clays, something reactive. UKD, or look at this one. Smack the Smiley --- Home of the Tactical Shooter's Local Rifle Match I was thinking about trying that. I know its not the glorious 1K but if its no fun and you get discouraged, it never will be fun. You must be shooting something WAY bigger than I am to be 3 bucks a round. Even a .338 should be close to 1.50 to 1.75 a round including brass if you're reloading. Also, make reloading fun. It's not a tedious task to be hated. It is one of the most relaxing parts. Shooting is no more expensive hobby once you get balls deep than anything else. Golf clubs and cars aren't cheap either
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

You are absolutely right. The long range game is low volume/ high quality/high cost. Whether that is rewarding enough to an individual is a very personal thing. After years of throwing lead down range, I have found the long range game to be my favorite shooting sport. I will also say that since getting into LR, I have vastly increased my practice shooting with very accurate 22LR rifles. Don't know if it offsets the cost, but it sure keeps me shooting enough to satisfy my itchy trigger finger, and keep my skills honed. Since taking up the LR game, I'm a far better shooter then I was 10 or 15 years ago.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 05-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Gold Member

+1 the 1,000 yard + game is not for the faint of wallet. I spend far more time shooting my 7 Dakota, 7 WSM and my 6x47L than my 338LM Improved.

I do shoot it from time to time to stay current with it, but my other rifles have identical scopes and triggers set to the same pull, so shooting one is failry good practice for shooting the others.

Jeffvn
Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Gold Member

Well, As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for." I guess it boils down to your priorities. I think I'd rather pay for the 1000 yard stuff than sitting somewhere drinking a 5 buck cup of coffee. Ditto on what everyone else says---make it fun.
Actually, I think its a blast just sitting on the ground or a bench watching your bullets fly.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

It's only about $4 a shot. . . . . .

Consider a .308