Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

1000Y challenge! Test your 1st shot hit capabillity.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

1000Y challenge! Test your 1st shot hit capabillity.

Hi all,

Greating to you all on memorial days.

I have a challenge for you especially the ones with true LR capabillities.

To find out actually how many that is able to score 90%+ first shot hits on deer sized game at the 1000y mark this is the challenge.

1. 1 Shot, and one shot only each day
2. No sighters or any fouling shots
3. Use whatever gun, optics, bipod and carriable rest you would use in the field. If you can carry it you're good to go
4. Range finder, weatherstation, drop chart etc are all off course permitted.
5. 3/4 MOA target is the size target we're after. Since this translates fairly good to the kill zone of a deer. Correct me if i'm wrong in converting metric size to US. We're looking for a 10" target at 1000y

And we should off course have a price for the winners. What about if all who participates donate 10$? And the ones that succeds gets a bottle of fine brew of some kind and off course the awe of the others here :-)

If needed I can contact a few of our suppliers and I will pay for an additional price.

Does this sound like something that could be done??
Old 05-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 1000Y challenge! Test your 1st shot hit capabillity.

Personally...I dont think you'll find any "winners". Even if you opened the shooting up to 1 hit out of 3 shots that ALL must be taken within 30-35 seconds.....which MIGHT closer represent an actual shooting condition of missing or hitting without killing on the first shot.

Ive seen guys shoot at Perry before and they aint shooting some 10" sized target either.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Might be hard getting it all organized because people have different types of jobs and work different times. The good thing about this site is that most people will be honest. It might be best to just set a certain number of shots allowed to be taken and then set a date to get it done by. Might be best also to just have fun with it and see who wins. Hope it works out for you and hope its fun. I dont have the ability to get out to 1k yet but I will soon.

I also find it best when I read a thread, to just pretend like Sully never posted on it.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Bronze Member

People can perform the test where ever they want and feel like. It's like in the field - we cannot all line up to shot at the same deer

Would be nice to have video, picture proof that could be posted or a spotter that would verify the results.

So everyone get out put up a 10" gong - paint a red 3-4" center on it a get to work. We wanna se 9 or more wellplaced shots from a cold barrels performed on 10 different days.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Might be hard getting it all organized because people have different types of jobs and work different times. The good thing about this site is that most people will be honest. It might be best to just set a certain number of shots allowed to be taken and then set a date to get it done by. Might be best also to just have fun with it and see who wins. Hope it works out for you and hope its fun. I dont have the ability to get out to 1k yet but I will soon.

I also find it best when I read a thread, to just pretend like Sully never posted on it.
You can say and believe what you want but Im betting there are a lot more 1000 yard BSers than actual hitters on the BB. Your slam on me doesnt phase me 1 iota ( go look up what iota means) because what Im saying here is FACT
Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

9 out of 10 cold bore shots in a 10" circle @ 1000 yards, aint askin for much are ya Sauer......
It sure would be interesting to see the results though........Some more than others ;-)
Old 05-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
9 out of 10 cold bore shots in a 10" circle @ 1000 yards, aint askin for much are ya Sauer......
It might be that I am. I'm personally not able to by far, but I'm not a great LR shot. With the best of conditions I personally might give it a go at 600, but at a full 1 k - that is for me at least way to long a poke at a small target .......

I do however feel this challenge should be quite easy for many participants here taken the results in some of the active polls at the moment, how long will you shot at ........Max range......

We could of course make it a 12-14" gong to reflect the vitals of a Mule deer insteed of a WT, and could even make it a 16-18" gong if people are shooting proper elk rifles.

So lets expand the challenge and bring in all guns/caliber/bullet combo's that will offer at least 1500# at the full 1K for elk and 1000# for muleys.

We have a friend on one of our Norwegian sites that performs this test at a full kilometer with his 338 Lapua. He demands for himself is 10 of of 10 within a 9" circle at that range. We're gone give him a bottle of scotlands finest when he succeds. His up to 8 out of 10 now. So it would be nice to see how you guys compare.