Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

***1000 YARD COLD BORE SHOT (This Saturday)****

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: ***1000 YARD COLD BORE SHOT (This Saturday)****

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I'm showing about 6in of right spin drift. Just wait till your PPC won't boot up and you have elk waiting on you to tip them over Or like I did last year donate your Kestrel to the BLM
So, does this mean that my ipmact in perfect conditions would land 6 inches to the right of center on my target ?

What program are you using ? I may have to upgrade ?

I have been afraid that while hunting my ppc wouldnt boot up after all the practice .
Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
So, does this mean that my ipmact in perfect conditions would land 6 inches to the right of center on my target ?

What program are you using ? I may have to upgrade ?

I have been afraid that while hunting my ppc wouldnt boot up after all the practice .
I know you didnt direct this question to me but i will try to answer the first Q.

Yes your bullet will hit 6 inches or 1/2 MOA right in no wind conditions. What the BOTW crew does to account for this is they sight in 1/2 MOA left at 100 yards so spin dirft is basically non existant.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 08-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

The fear of equipment failure is not that big of a deal for me. I have never had it happn to me but take these precautions. I carry a basic drop chart to 700 yards for a middle of the road temp and altitude in the pack. In the truck or at camp I have spares for everything. Plus my son or hunting partnersuse the same or similar equipment too. If needed I could have my rifle / load data in their computer in a few minutes. If everything goes to pot, I simply hunt like I did for years before I started long range and I have memorized dial ups to 500 yards. So I don't really see failing equpment as a big deal or a long term problem.

As for spin drift, I leave it on all the time in my shooter program. So it is part of all the correction I get. But if you want to simply remember below 700 yards don't worry about it and at 1000 dial 1/2 moa left this will cover most rifles as close as we can shoot.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Gold Member

RDM416,

I tried to find the edit section you spoke of in my Bulletflight app and I believe I have a different version than you. I even read the entire directions and the only place there is to enter the length of the bullet selected is in the bullet stability factor section. There is nowhere to enter twist rate. I have the iPhone app what version do you have?

Bigbuck,

Again I apologize for running on and on here in your thread but like I said I feel like were in class together here and we are both trying to grasp the same stuff here.

Thanks guys,
Jason
Old 08-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
RDM416,

Thanks for teaching me how to actually use my program the right way. That will definitely help in the future. Also thanks for explaining your reasons behind your methods. I still think for my simple mind it's just easier to leave them both turned on all the time so I don't forget in the heat of the moment. Nothing wrong at all with your way if it works for you. Thanks again, this has been a good thread!
All this pc talk for shooting is over my head but interesting to read i guess im just
a little bit old school
(MEAT HEAD)
Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

Jason,

I am using Android. I have the highest level of the bullet flight program. Just get on three and start pushing buttons....... you might also try Applied Ballistics if you don't mind spending a little more money.

By the way Broz described the way I deal with spin drift spot on.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post
Jason,

I am using Android. I have the highest level of the bullet flight program. Just get on three and start pushing buttons....... you might also try Applied Ballistics if you don't mind spending a little more money.

By the way Broz described the way I deal with spin drift spot on.
Hmm... I got the highest level offered for my phone. I think it was $40 if I remember right. You lost me with "just get on three and start pushing buttons." Well I guess I'll just keep shooting and see what happens. Thanks again for the help!