Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

1000 yard club quest.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 1000 yard club quest.....

Well done to your brother and dad.

I guess the fella that put the rig together didn't do to bad either.....

Sure do like your dad's name. Its a goodin [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

Congradulations to all involved. I hope to make the 1k club sometime this summer myself, but the 1000 yard one shot club is a bit too rarified for me to even dream of!

You and your family are making this look way too easy. I know there is some luck involved, but then again the harder you work the luckier you seem to get.

Carl
Old 06-24-2006, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Very Nice! Congratulations! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

SS7mm,

My brother was there for my +2300 yard poke and after he saw the consistancy of the 338 AM at this range the topic of a rifle build instantly came up but I do not think he will do it until this winter or next spring.

Consistancy wise comparing the two 338 Kahns and my 338 AM. THey are pretty much identical out to 1600-1700 yards.

I took my Kahn out the other night to try to figure out the range where it starts to loose consistancy. At 1500 yards the Kahn was very consistant, I would say in the 3/4 moa range. At 1700 yards it was still holding sub moa easily.

At 1950 yards the consistancy opened to what I would estimate 2 to 2.5 moa range so I would say my limits with my personal Kahn are in the 1800-1850 range.

My brothers rifle has the same chamber but a much longer throat and also a much shallower 1-30-00 throat angle compared to my very short and steep 3-00-00 degree throat angle. He can easily get 125 fps more velocity then I can with same pressures.

With US869 I can load my rifle up to near 3000 fps but my current load using H-50BMG is only clipping along at 2875 fps or so. Korey should be able to hit 3100 fps very comfortably and this should allow him to play with the 2000 yard range at our elevation.

I do not think he will get real serious about a new rig until he gets into the 1500 yard club and then he wants to set his next benchmark at one mile.

Both of our Kahns will handle this range easily but old Black Sunshine will sure do it without breaking a sweat!!

I think from our conversations over the past +1 year that you know I would not mind at all if my family used my rifle to break my current 2370 yard personal record. Would be happy for them or anyone else that did it, my rifle or not.

Hell, you will hopefully soon have a rifle with that potential as well!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If the barrel will get here.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words from everyone.

One thing you all need to realize is that we knew the rifle was dialed in dead on at 1080 yards from previous range tests. That does not mean that you will make every shot a killing shot at this range but it certainly does not hurt your chances.

My brother had just made a kill shot with the rifle, we knew the wind hold exactly and the chuck my dad shot was basically the same range. With any good rifle dialed in and with a known range this is not all that amazing of a feat to get two chuck kill at +1000 yard with two shots. Certainly does not happen every day but things set up and unfolded just right for it to happen and a little luck helped as well.

It was a good shoot. You take those days when you get them. The funny thing is I will probably go through a box of ammo trying to get into the 1K club!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lerch,

They had the rifle built by some young punk in Montana, slow as hell!!! Will not give the name, just to damn slow [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!! Rifle does seem to shoot alright though.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-27-2006, 02:22 PM

Appreciate the kind words, gentleman. I think we were looking at the better part of two years from the initial action purchase to last Saturday's hit. Well worth the wait. I had a ball and am very much looking forward to the next benchmark.

Also wanted to get on and post a quick word of thanks to my brother for putting together one hell of a rifle. He's shown lots of patience as he's baby-stepped me through this whole process and I do apprciate it. THANK YOU !!!