Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

1 shot coyote at 742 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Gold Member

1 shot coyote at 742 yards

This weekend me,goodgrouper,7RHB and my friend Capt.Morgan went on the first big rock chuck hunt of the year. Capt.Morgan is a Long Range rookie that just had his first custom gun built, he bought a Rem700 action on the internet and had speedy sleeve it and build it for him. Speedy did some excellent metal work on this rifle but left out a few details that boggle the mind,there was no weight added to the stock so with a 30" 1.250 barrel it was the most out of balance rifle I have ever seen. the biggest problem with the gun was the trigger pull it varied from 3 pounds one pull to 8 pounds the next. I noticed the cocking piece on the bolt was all ground up so I took the firing pin assy. out and discovered the previous owner had put in a new firing pin and used a long action spring in a short action bolt causing it to completely compress while cocking. after replacing the firing pin,spring and trigger it was light years better. then I had to cut off the butt pad and add 5 ponnds of lead to balance it out. barrel break-in was done but we only had time to do 12 shots of load developement, so I just loaded up 30 of the load that shot best and made up a make-shift drop chart.
We headed north to the tater state and set up all the gear in one of our favorite chuck spots,we wanted to get Capt.Morgan into the 500yard club with his new gun so we spotted him a few chucks to shoot at while trying to fine tune his drop-chart. 7RHB said THERE IS A COYOTE goodgrouper ranged him at 742yds I clicked in the scope and Capt.Morgan pulled the trigger BOOM all four of us were grinning from ear to ear he had hit the coyote DEAD center
he had shot him in the cliffs of the snake river gorge so we had to bring the coyote up top for a pic with the gun
I cant think of a better way to break in a new rifle.
UB
Old 05-21-2006, 07:30 AM
SPONSOR

Re: 1 shot coyote at 742 yards

I wasn't sure where this story was going when you mentioned Capt. Morgan. I've got a buddy by the same name but tend to leave him @ home on shooting excursions [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

That's some fine shootin' but you guys just have wayyyyy to big of targets up there!!! Tell the Capt. congrats.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

What a great way to begin, with a long range shooting experience like that!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Good goin'

Poor ol' Capt. Morgan - No amount of deprogramming will get him back to normal[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Pretty country......

I guess I'm going to have to learn to "click" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Hmmmm, Blackfoot River, Teton River, Whatever that river is that runs to Jackpot, But hey! look at all them beautiful rocks just waiting to be busted
Old 05-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Roy,how about a combination of clicking and hold over.
With the NP-R2 reticle divded into 2 MOA increments,if for example you need 12 3/4 MOA just dial 3 clicks and go to line 6 quick, easy, and painless
Old 05-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Roy,how about a combination of clicking and hold over.
With the NP-R2 reticle divded into 2 MOA increments,if for example you need 12 3/4 MOA just dial 3 clicks and go to line 6 quick, easy, painless and precise
Old 05-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

UncleB,

Tell Captain Morgan that is excellent shot placement at 742 yards. Beautiful looking country as well.

Can we have some more specs on the barrel. Barrel maker & twist.

And thanks for the post & fine pics.
Vic