Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

1 mile shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Bronze Member

1 mile shot

I been reading all types of stuff about the "1 mile" shot. I guess there are some out there who have the battery and range to do this. Most of what I read on this forum, like Darrel's 338/416 monster are WAY out of my leage. If I shot a beast like that I think I would be so happy I would want to just be alone for awhile. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But for some people they are drawn to that. I would drive hours and pay just to shot at a 5gal bucket full of water at 1mile. Ofcourse I would need coaching and a spotter! Sounds better than any ride at Hershey park ride I ever took! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 1 mile shot

Just buy me supper and you can shoot all day.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2004, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member

Boyd

LOL How much you figuring to eat??

You gonna be at the Harrisburg Show the first weekend??

jbubb

You can get to a mile with a 338 RUM and a 300 Sierra if you push a little hard. Might want to start with something a little bigger than a 5 gallon bucket though. My first ~1700 yard attempts were onto a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood... it has some holes in it now but the "wounds" were not fatal as they missed the "vitals". No close spotter (second person) for me, mine stayed downrange about 80 yards or so back from and off to the side of the backer, we chatted via radio. He WAS IMPRESSED by the power and fact that the round still being supersonic at that distance.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:38 AM
*WyoWhisper*

1 mile.. really isn't too difficult once you've tried it a time or 2... I am supprized Dave didn't just tear up his target... or have better results but from a bi-pod it may be a little more difficult...

I tooka 6/284 and made a kill at 1521 yards on a prarie dog. Thats about 270 yards short of a mile. I was shooting a bench type rifle form a portable bench...the hardest thing is reading the conditions all the way there... so instead of making myself go bald any faster than I already am.. I just touched 'em off to see what happened. 6 shots later... success...

I don't think you need real big boomers to do this... the 338's should be a walk in the park.. the BIG 30's should do fine as well... if you can stay supper sonic or just about super sonic you should be able to achieve what your after in one or 2 attemps...

just my .02
Old 01-22-2004, 06:44 AM
Bronze Member

Boyd, that's a deal how many value meals can you eat? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] lol You are on my way up to my cabin in Clinton co. We go right through Lockhaven collage. Maybe Sometime I will take you up on that deal. Kind of feel bad thou, didn't think there was really any nice places to eat up there that would let you in! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Now I'm really worried if I shoot a big boomer and do well I now it will be right home and to the gun smiths house. I guess I might as well start now? Any body want a nice John boat and new trailer, minkota toller. Can send pics $600. Trailer been in the water "1" time trolling engine same as new. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Boyd
LOL How much you figuring to eat??

You gonna be at the Harrisburg Show the first weekend??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>For being a little guy,I can pack it away.Wife does'nt cook much.Got a Ruby Tuesdays down here.Yum,Yum [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Not sure about the first weekend Dave...Have to wait to see what its doing outside.I will be down sometime tho.... <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Boyd, that's a deal how many value meals can you eat? lol You are on my way up to my cabin in Clinton co. We go right through Lockhaven collage. Maybe Sometime I will take you up on that deal. Kind of feel bad thou, didn't think there was really any nice places to eat up there that would let you in! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>jbubb.I am only about a mile away from the collage.Down by the Piper airport.They have'nt gotten around to kicking me out of Mickey D's yet [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

P.S....I will video the shot for you so you can take it home and show your buddys...That would cost you a drink at one of the bars in town tho [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]