Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

1:9" twist for 7mm-08

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

1:9" twist for 7mm-08

Gentlemen,
I am new to the forum so please forgive any mistakes I will make...I just spoke with a tech at Krieger Barrels and i can get a nice deal on a .284 barrel with a Sendero contour fitted & fluted, but he seemed to be concern with a 9" twist being to fast for anything less that 168gr bullets. Can y'all help me out and give any insight on it being to fast for the 140 Accubonds I planned on loading? It primarily going to be a 400 and under gun. Thank you all in advance!!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 1:9" twist for 7mm-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy85 View Post
Gentlemen,
I am new to the forum so please forgive any mistakes I will make...I just spoke with a tech at Krieger Barrels and i can get a nice deal on a .284 barrel with a Sendero contour fitted & fluted, but he seemed to be concern with a 9" twist being to fast for anything less that 168gr bullets. Can y'all help me out and give any insight on it being to fast for the 140 Accubonds I planned on loading? It primarily going to be a 400 and under gun. Thank you all in advance!!
PERFECT !!

A 1 in 9 will work in any 7mm with any bullet.

I have a 1 in 9 in a 7/30 waters,7/08 Rem,7 WSM, 7 STW and a 7 RUM and have not found any bullet weight that would not shoot in any of them.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

9.5" twist is always a good one. My A-Bolt II 7Mag has that. My Rem Sendero SF 7mmSTW has a 9.25" twist.

However, I am unsure what the twist rate is. After some serious googling, I still can't find any info on them. My guess would be somewhere between a 9-10" twist.

J.E. knows his stuff, so I'd take his word for it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Gold Member

Tell him he might be right, and ask for a discount!!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

thanks for the responses guys...ill be sure to ask about that discount...haha
Also I feel childish asking these two questions but when someone "bump" a thread what is it? and "ttt"? please forgive the elementary questions I am learning as I go
Old 04-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

"Bump" just means that they want to put the thread back on top of the list, instead of letting it go to page 2, or beyond.

And "TTT" stands for "To The Top". It's the same thing as bumping. Some people say bump (I do), and some people say ttt.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Silver Member

Ahh...I feel like a rookie now!!! Again thanks for the help on the barrel, I am going to pull the trigger on the Krieger!!!!!!