close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Physical Training For Mountain Hunting And Backpacking

So how do you get into shape???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: So how do you get into shape???

just started working out again. I go for road walks with my day pack...put a 15 pound brick in it to start. have a 7 pound rock to add when I get comfortable. walks are 3-5 miles...nice hilly roads near me...goal is to get up to 50 pounds, since I'm only 145, I don't want to push it to start out with
Old 10-20-2012, 04:24 PM

I'm A Nasty Girl, so I have to pass a Army PT test every 6 months. I run every other day, and do as many push-ups and sit-ups as I can everyday. I also have a pull-up bar mounted in our bathroom.
I will not tell you I don't get winded on long steep climbs, but I do a hell of a lot better then the guys who don't do squat.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Gold Member

Every time I think about 'getting into shape' I lie back in my recliner and dream the pounds away!!

Monte Walsh
Old 04-30-2015, 03:41 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etool View Post
I will not tell you I don't get winded on long steep climbs, but I do a hell of a lot better then the guys who don't do squat.
Speaking of squats...

I am a former Navy Rescue Swimmer so I am sort of used to staying in shape even if I have been out for 20 years this month (Time flies). I triathlon train, including specific hill training on bike and running. In the off season I do a lot of crossfit-like training mixed in. Tababa squat-jumps, body weight squats, pushups, pullups, ab circuit, box jumps, medicine ball squat thrusts, and burpees or 8 count bodybuilders.

I still suck wind for the first few days at altitude but I acclimate quickly and manage ok.

This year I am going to start hiking hills around here (Texas Hill Country) with a weighted pack to get ready for high country muley hunting in South Central Wyoming.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:13 PM

I would add some weight training to all the cardio advice, having a decent strength level really helps when you are hiking that steep hill or boulder hopping along a creek somewhere

Normally I train weights one day (you can get some great full body dumbbell workouts you can do at home which don't really require much equipment) and then I put a pack on and hike some hills nearby the next day then have a rest day and repeat.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Bronze Member

You don't really need to add weight training if you are adding functional training such as hiking with a weighted pack, body weight squats and tabata jump squats. I find that high intensity plyometric exercises work a lot better than static weight training exercises and tend to cause a lot less injury.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:23 AM
Bronze Member

I have been running to train for a marathon. I am not in great shape but do 30 - 40 miles a week at a slow run. Time on you feet really matters. If your not in shape start low and increase your weekly mileage slowly by about 5% every other week or so and focus on one long run probably every other week. Remember increase slowly or you will hurt yourself. Your hip and core muscles are very important for taking care of your knees. squats, plank etc to improve them. and stretch.