close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Physical Training For Mountain Hunting And Backpacking

Exercise for arthritic knees?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 09:42 PM

Re: Exercise for arthritic knees?

Very interesting Dave!

Having never heard of prolotherapy, I looked it up and it looks like the very thing for someone with knee problems.

Here is a link for common questions. Finding a doctor might present a challenge. I know that there have been times that I would not have minded driving a long way to get relief.

Twenty Common Prolotherapy Questions
Old 09-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

i checked it out for a year or more before i finally took the plunge. my right knee took a turn for the worse which is probably what makes people actually do something. insurance won't cover it but it doesn't cost much. most doctors charge a first visit consultation fee (75-125) and each injection is about 150-200 depending on the doctor. got my first treatment on july 3rd, another beginning of Aug and my knee is much better. again, i highly recommend it.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:50 PM

My doctor retired, why have to deal with OB, anyway, I'm going to see a new young sports/family doctor tomorrow and I'm going to see what he know about prolotherapy. Finding a doctor in my neck of the woods may be a challenge, not that there is any hurry. My glucosamine regimen seems to be doing good right now.
If my knees get bad again, I'll hunt for a prolo doctor.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:15 PM

Know the feeling. Suggest getting knees radiographed. If it turns out you're bone on bone as I was, you're only way out of it is by knee repacement. I'm 83 and it worked for me. Slow now but comfortable. I might add that physical Rx a couple of months prior to surgery makes a big difference recovery wise. Post surgery is a grunt and the first month uncomfortable, but it does get better.
Best to you,
nerka
Old 05-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Len:
After reading all the post, which were good for information same that I got several years ago. After three scope job on each knee, med,s and anything I could find to help with the knees so that I could still head into the Mountains.

Bottom line after 20 plus years of this problem I went for full knee replacement on the left knee 2008 and 2009 for the right knee. All I can say yes it take time to rehab, and to this date still hit the gum for leg strengthen program also keeping weight down. It's so nice to be able to make a backing hunt and even ride a horse for several hours and be able to walk around without pain.

So looking back , I would have had replacements several years before.

Charlie
Old 05-04-2015, 02:46 PM
PUBLISHER

Charlie, thanks for the future encouragement in case I ever need new knees.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 05-04-2015, 04:28 PM

Charlie, you're so right. Most suffer too long and finally give in. Then wonder why they waited so long. I'm one.
Nerka