Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Winchester factory 7MM STW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 AM

Winchester factory 7MM STW

Dad just bought a factory pre 64 7MM STW 26 in barrel lazer ported, I don't know why any one would port a stw.

I load for two other STW's now, mine and my brothers, this Winchester is kicking my butt, I have four loads that the two Remingtons will make one hole groups with.

can any one tell me what the major differences are between the two are? found out that one being mag box is shorter in the model 70 compared to the 700's

Did Winchester free bore there barrels?

currently using all Nosler bullets and Hodgdons 4831 which both the Remingtons shoot very well.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Winchester factory 7MM STW

Hmmmmm pre64 ?
I would start with a chamber cast.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger View Post
Hmmmmm pre64 ?
I would start with a chamber cast.
has the claw extractor rather then the push feed that Winchester had been using.

I cant seem to find anything online about them having a factory free bore, was talking to a friend and he thought they had been.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Last I knew, Weatherby was the only company freeboring any and all caliber chambered in their rifles...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Last I knew, Weatherby was the only company freeboring any and all caliber chambered in their rifles...
that is what I thought as well but heck thought this would be the place to get an answer to be sure.

this is the first STW that has not like my current pet loads. so I am looking into everything I can.

Going out to shoot again this evening working on getting a load worked up before deer season 1 to 1.5 inch groups don't cut it.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeLab1 View Post
Dad just bought a factory pre 64 7MM STW 26 in barrel lazer ported, I don't know why any one would port a stw.

I load for two other STW's now, mine and my brothers, this Winchester is kicking my butt, I have four loads that the two Remingtons will make one hole groups with.

can any one tell me what the major differences are between the two are? found out that one being mag box is shorter in the model 70 compared to the 700's

Did Winchester free bore there barrels?

currently using all Nosler bullets and Hodgdons 4831 which both the Remingtons shoot very well.
Is your rifle a ss with the tuppereware stock?? If so, ditch the tupperware and she may just start shooting..... Get a good laminate or syn. stock stiff enough for a bigger round.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

7stw did not exist until late 1970 or early 1980s
I think the seller misled your dad