Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW


Reply

Why 7STW over 7RUM?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 659
Re: Why 7STW over 7RUM?

I appreciate the honesty Black Sheep, I probably would have done the same thing!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,362
Re: Why 7STW over 7RUM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
cohunter14--Yeah, I get that. Granted, over 1000 round barrel life, it works out to $45 more. Insignificant, I know but still--its more than a pound over the life of the barrel. 15% more powder will produce more recoil. Exactly how much, I don't know. It will also burn out the throat faster, again how much I don't know. I also have two buddies with Sendero SF STW's that handload, so I knew going into a cartridge I really didn't know about, that I would at least have experience to go off of developing a load. So for me, the math and the intangibles made the decision for me to go STW. I bought a semi-custom RUM sight unseen off of the internet. When it showed up, I was less than impressed. Right after that, I found my Sendero STW on Gunbroker. The guy didn't have it listed as a sendero, so I think thats why I got it relatively cheap. (that, and it had a disgusting paintjob on it--Bright orange with gold metalflake!!!) So I sold the RUM at a $50 loss, and jumped on the STW. Have never looked back.
Dude, do you have any before and after pictures? B/c I bet that thing was hiddeous before!
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: Why 7STW over 7RUM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
cohunter14--Yeah, I get that. Granted, over 1000 round barrel life, it works out to $45 more. Insignificant, I know but still--its more than a pound over the life of the barrel. 15% more powder will produce more recoil. Exactly how much, I don't know. It will also burn out the throat faster, again how much I don't know. I also have two buddies with Sendero SF STW's that handload, so I knew going into a cartridge I really didn't know about, that I would at least have experience to go off of developing a load. So for me, the math and the intangibles made the decision for me to go STW. I bought a semi-custom RUM sight unseen off of the internet. When it showed up, I was less than impressed. Right after that, I found my Sendero STW on Gunbroker. The guy didn't have it listed as a sendero, so I think thats why I got it relatively cheap. (that, and it had a disgusting paintjob on it--Bright orange with gold metalflake!!!) So I sold the RUM at a $50 loss, and jumped on the STW. Have never looked back.
Hey Black, I remember when you got that " orange" machine! didn't it have metallic finish also? Anyway, it don't matter, that rifle of yours is a drill! It's a real shame that when Big Green brought out the RUM, they dropped the STW. To me, it just never caught on, and to those whom did pick up one, with expectations of the STW without a belt got dis appointed. I know that I was, and most that I know of that jumped on that band wagon. Even though the brass for the STW is hard to find, I'll stick with it. For that matter, I believe that 7RUM brass is near impossible to find, but is easily made from 300 RUM brass, and that one is here to stay!
How did you get that orange paint off, or did you replace it?
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 659
Re: Why 7STW over 7RUM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Even though the brass for the STW is hard to find, I'll stick with it. For that matter, I believe that 7RUM brass is near impossible to find, but is easily made from 300 RUM brass, and that one is here to stay!
Actually 7 RUM brass is a lot easier to find than 300 RUM brass right now. Don't know exactly why, but it is...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,362
Re: Why 7STW over 7RUM?

Probably because everyone seems to have this big-bore obsession, that if it's not .30 cal or larger, then it can't kill anything......
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: West Wendover, NV
Posts: 199
Re: Why 7STW over 7RUM?

Here's some pics. They really don't do the gold metal flake any justice!!!
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
This post talks about the new paintjob...
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
Now if you guys would just read through the 3500+ posts in the brotherhood thread I wouldn't have to do this!!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: Why 7STW over 7RUM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Here's some pics. They really don't do the gold metal flake any justice!!!
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
This post talks about the new paintjob...
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
Now if you guys would just read through the 3500+ posts in the brotherhood thread I wouldn't have to do this!!
Dude, I can't even count that high, and I damn sure find it hard to believe that WE have this much of a following. Pretty damn awesome. Speaking of awesome, when I saw the picks, it all came back to me, like it was yesterday, and I DO remember the before and after. That paint job is freaking awesome, and you did a great job! That elk didn't like it worth a Damn though!!! all that stuff was just about a year ago huh?
Take care, awesome rifle!!!! Love it!
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC