Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Why 7STW over 7RUM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: Why 7STW over 7RUM?

I appreciate the honesty Black Sheep, I probably would have done the same thing!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
cohunter14--Yeah, I get that. Granted, over 1000 round barrel life, it works out to $45 more. Insignificant, I know but still--its more than a pound over the life of the barrel. 15% more powder will produce more recoil. Exactly how much, I don't know. It will also burn out the throat faster, again how much I don't know. I also have two buddies with Sendero SF STW's that handload, so I knew going into a cartridge I really didn't know about, that I would at least have experience to go off of developing a load. So for me, the math and the intangibles made the decision for me to go STW. I bought a semi-custom RUM sight unseen off of the internet. When it showed up, I was less than impressed. Right after that, I found my Sendero STW on Gunbroker. The guy didn't have it listed as a sendero, so I think thats why I got it relatively cheap. (that, and it had a disgusting paintjob on it--Bright orange with gold metalflake!!!) So I sold the RUM at a $50 loss, and jumped on the STW. Have never looked back.
Dude, do you have any before and after pictures? B/c I bet that thing was hiddeous before!

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
cohunter14--Yeah, I get that. Granted, over 1000 round barrel life, it works out to $45 more. Insignificant, I know but still--its more than a pound over the life of the barrel. 15% more powder will produce more recoil. Exactly how much, I don't know. It will also burn out the throat faster, again how much I don't know. I also have two buddies with Sendero SF STW's that handload, so I knew going into a cartridge I really didn't know about, that I would at least have experience to go off of developing a load. So for me, the math and the intangibles made the decision for me to go STW. I bought a semi-custom RUM sight unseen off of the internet. When it showed up, I was less than impressed. Right after that, I found my Sendero STW on Gunbroker. The guy didn't have it listed as a sendero, so I think thats why I got it relatively cheap. (that, and it had a disgusting paintjob on it--Bright orange with gold metalflake!!!) So I sold the RUM at a $50 loss, and jumped on the STW. Have never looked back.
Hey Black, I remember when you got that " orange" machine! didn't it have metallic finish also? Anyway, it don't matter, that rifle of yours is a drill! It's a real shame that when Big Green brought out the RUM, they dropped the STW. To me, it just never caught on, and to those whom did pick up one, with expectations of the STW without a belt got dis appointed. I know that I was, and most that I know of that jumped on that band wagon. Even though the brass for the STW is hard to find, I'll stick with it. For that matter, I believe that 7RUM brass is near impossible to find, but is easily made from 300 RUM brass, and that one is here to stay!
How did you get that orange paint off, or did you replace it?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Even though the brass for the STW is hard to find, I'll stick with it. For that matter, I believe that 7RUM brass is near impossible to find, but is easily made from 300 RUM brass, and that one is here to stay!
Actually 7 RUM brass is a lot easier to find than 300 RUM brass right now. Don't know exactly why, but it is...
Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Probably because everyone seems to have this big-bore obsession, that if it's not .30 cal or larger, then it can't kill anything......

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

Here's some pics. They really don't do the gold metal flake any justice!!!
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
This post talks about the new paintjob...
Now if you guys would just read through the 3500+ posts in the brotherhood thread I wouldn't have to do this!!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here's some pics. They really don't do the gold metal flake any justice!!!
This post talks about the new paintjob...
Now if you guys would just read through the 3500+ posts in the brotherhood thread I wouldn't have to do this!!
Dude, I can't even count that high, and I damn sure find it hard to believe that WE have this much of a following. Pretty damn awesome. Speaking of awesome, when I saw the picks, it all came back to me, like it was yesterday, and I DO remember the before and after. That paint job is freaking awesome, and you did a great job! That elk didn't like it worth a Damn though!!! all that stuff was just about a year ago huh?
Take care, awesome rifle!!!! Love it!