Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Why 7STW over 300WM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Why 7STW over 300WM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Lefty, If you are making 700 yard or 1/4 mile kills on running deer, off hand, in 30 plus mile winds, just holding off with a deer almost out of your scopes field of view, then my knowledge and methods have nothing to offer you. I simply am in no way close to your league of shooting.

Thanks and good luck

Jeff

Accuracy by Volume But really D/VxS=L... Much more important then a "high BC projectile" for those difficult off hand standing shots on runners.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Lefty, If you are making 700 yard or 1/4 mile kills on running deer, off hand, in 30 plus mile winds, just holding off with a deer almost out of your scopes field of view, then my knowledge and methods have nothing to offer you. I simply am in no way close to your league of shooting.

Thanks and good luck

Jeff
Usually offhand shooting from sitting position for shooting moving critters. I rolled back into dead frog (on your back with head up and one leg controlling the rifles el.) when I was younger, but at 35 it's a bit easier and quicker just to sit. You still use your legs to control el. as your knees and elbows are touching.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So you make running shots on deer at 500-600 yards? I take may hat off to your sir. I would have zero confidence on that shot with my shooting skills. I am not even sure I would waste my ammo to try for a coyote in those conditions. Do you dial for a shot like that and lead it, or just hold the reticle over and add a proper lead? I would think that would mean the cross hairs would be in front and above the deer?? That would be a tuff shot and how would one even practice for it? I could see where a fast bullet would be of use in this situation. But I guess I just don't need to take that kind of shot often where I hunt.

Thanks!
Jeff
As far as learing deflection shooting on deer, I'm not sure anyone knows everything. I'm by no means a novice, but I surely don't know everything. I've botched my share of shots for sure.

The best practice for deflection shooting is probably actually shotgunning. Waterfowl hunting pass shooting ducks is probably going to teach you more in a week about where you need to be with the firearm to make the kill than a lifetime of big game hunting. Killing prarie dogs running between mounds helps a bit too.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGE541 View Post
Accuracy by Volume But really D/VxS=L... Much more important then a "high BC projectile" for those difficult off hand standing shots on runners.
Didn't get a standing shot this year. Did nail a mule deer with the 300 win at 150 yards standing and a whitetail at 100 yards standing last year though.

I take the shots as they are presented to me. On public land they aren't always the easiest. My family likes to eat though, so I will kill what I can and bring it home if I've got a tag for it.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
As far as learing deflection shooting on deer, I'm not sure anyone knows everything. I'm by no means a novice,
I see, so that must be the professional term for shooting running deer at 600 yards with a 30 mph+ cross wind standing off hand or off your knee.

Hell where I grew up we always just called it a "Hail Mary" "Poke and Hope" or the preverbial "Spray and Pray" But I was hunting with novices.

Man those uber fast sevens must truly be magical!!!

jeff

Last edited by Broz; 04-29-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

double post
Old 04-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I see, so that must be the professional term for shooting running deer at 600 yards with a 30 mph+ cross wind standing off hand or off your knee.

Hell were I grew up we always just called it a "Hail Mary" "Poke and Hope" or the preverbial "Spray and Pray" But I was hunting with novices.

Man those uber fast sevens must truly be magical!!!

jeff
And THAT is why I don't often speak of lang range shooting on moving animals. Even here where some of you guys have dumped critters at 1 mile, shooting at moving game will get the "morals" treatment. I'm pretty fair with a rifle but won't go over 700 yards or so whether they are moving or not.

I don't piss in your coffee about it if you want to take a critter down at 1,200 yards if it aint moving so please don't piss in mine if I dump a runner at 500 or 600 yards.