Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Where to find Hodgdon 1000?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Where to find Hodgdon 1000?

I do, but my loads won't necessarily work in your rifle. You also need to get really familiar with the STW itself first, before attempting most of the loads you see us using in here. Most of us have worked up to where we're at to make sure we don't blow up our rifles. For examble, I seat my bullets very near the lands, which can cause more pressure in the case (severe overpressurization can be hazardous to your rifle's health). I'm using 7828 SSC and Berger 180 Hybrids with Nosler brass. But I would suggest working up slowly from a book starting load to find your velocity node and the sweet spot for your barrel.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Where to find Hodgdon 1000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I do, but my loads won't necessarily work in your rifle. You also need to get really familiar with the STW itself first, before attempting most of the loads you see us using in here. Most of us have worked up to where we're at to make sure we don't blow up our rifles. For examble, I seat my bullets very near the lands, which can cause more pressure in the case (severe overpressurization can be hazardous to your rifle's health). I'm using 7828 SSC and Berger 180 Hybrids with Nosler brass. But I would suggest working up slowly from a book starting load to find your velocity node and the sweet spot for your barrel.
Not only your rifle... you face as well. Those 90 degree drillways in the receiver only let out so much overpressure.......

I never ask anyone for a load recipe (on here or anywhere else) and I don't allude to any either. Proper load workup is paramount to accuracy and safety and that isn't obtainable with someone else's cookie mix. Be your own chef, do your own baking.