Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Whats the best grain bullet for long range from the STW?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Whats the best grain bullet for long range from the STW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
Well to be honest I don't know my barrel twist rate. What I have is a completely factory Rem. Sendaro STW with stainless fluted barrel, do you know what twist that would be? What grains match best to this twist? Thanks, Mike
I would say it is a 1 in 9.25 twist but I can not say for sure. Others may no this better than me on a STW. Maybe lefty will return and confirm this.

I have had good results at long range with the 180 Berger Hunting VLD and the 180 Berger Hybrid in the 9.25 twist sevens.

Nice rifle by the way.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well to be honest I don't know my barrel twist rate. What I have is a completely factory Rem. Sendaro STW with stainless fluted barrel, do you know what twist that would be? What grains match best to this twist? Thanks, Mike
If you have a sendero 7mmstw you have a 9.25" twist and I'd look at the 171 barnes or 180 berger For anything past the 600 yard marker. The sendero is a heck of a rifle; I wish I still had mine. My lh bdl is a flighty little B#$%h compared to what the sendero was. I'd look to rl25, rl50, and retumbo to push these pills.

I just sighted in my new lss lh 7rum this morning in a prarie hurricane (10 degrees...20 mph + and varying wind) and she was still holding moa without any load workup at all with the 171 barnes and a heap of retumbo. I am still using the little 3x9 redfield from the rifle I traded for it; I need to put a bigger optic on it but I need $$ for other things at present.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Does it have black flutes (Sendero SFII) or is it a all stainless barrel (Sendero SF) model?

SFII has a 1:9...And the SF models have a 9.25 twist. They will still shoot the heavy 180's fine. I shoot the 180 Hybrids out of my Browning A-Bolt II 7mmRM, which has a 9.5 twist. I shoot the 180 VLD's in my Sendero SF (9.25 twist) 7mm STW and they shoot great.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pick up a box of Nosler or Double Tap loaded with the 160gr accubond and see if they shoot well for you.

They shoot very well for me in my STW's. If they shoot well for you that's a good place to start. Of course when you get ready to reload I'd suggest trying some of the Nosler Accubond LR's. If the regular accubond shoots well for you the 168 or 175 should shoot well for you as well and of course it's hard to beat the terminal performance of the accubond line of bullets.

There's a five page thread from 2010 over on 24hr campfire full of positive results with the 160gr 7mm Accubond on Elk mainly but other game as well. The calibers mentioned run from 7mm-08 to 7mm Rum so I'd say this is a great combo for you to try.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:10 AM

What I have is the solid stainless barrel, it is fluted but no black stripes so I must have the SF. Thanks for all the info, and I hope to have the time to start back reloading in the next few weeks, cleaned out shop yesterday that was my starting point, Thanks again, MIke
Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

Lefty, nice Buck, I think it's the first time I saw it, I remember you said you got one early in the season.

Happy and Safe New Year to all.

I got some Berger 180's and some 177 Catteruccio's for the my STW. I was a good boy this year, I guess! I really think these could be the nuts or my STW. Enough weight to sail about as far as an STW can launch em.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Does it have black flutes (Sendero SFII) or is it a all stainless barrel (Sendero SF) model?

SFII has a 1:9...And the SF models have a 9.25 twist. They will still shoot the heavy 180's fine. I shoot the 180 Hybrids out of my Browning A-Bolt II 7mmRM, which has a 9.5 twist. I shoot the 180 VLD's in my Sendero SF (9.25 twist) 7mm STW and they shoot great.
I do not think Remington ever made a Sendero SFII in the 7mm STW caliber.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope