Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Whats the best grain bullet for long range from the STW?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 10:13 PM

Whats the best grain bullet for long range from the STW?

Hey guys, sort of new to the long range brotherhood. Used to reload a lot back in the day ( 20 years ago ) and hoping to get back into it and long range stuff too. I am currently shooting 140 grain boat tail ballistic tips in my stw ( tack drivers ) but all I hear about in the long range stuff is 168 grains from the 308 guys. Is that considered the best weight to reach out and touch someone in any caliber or just 308? Hoping to save a lot of time and money and not re-invent the wheel here, Thanks, Mike
Old 12-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Whats the best grain bullet for long range from the STW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
Hey guys, sort of new to the long range brotherhood. Used to reload a lot back in the day ( 20 years ago ) and hoping to get back into it and long range stuff too. I am currently shooting 140 grain boat tail ballistic tips in my stw ( tack drivers ) but all I hear about in the long range stuff is 168 grains from the 308 guys. Is that considered the best weight to reach out and touch someone in any caliber or just 308? Hoping to save a lot of time and money and not re-invent the wheel here, Thanks, Mike
Of course as you go up in bore diameter preferred bullet weight will increase. Many of the heavyweight 7mm bullets today are in the 171 to 180 grain range with a couple of specialty makers going heavier than that. You'll need faster than a 9" twist to go over 180 grain by much though.
It really depends on what you are looking at doing. The stw is really flat shooting with a 140 nos bt(or ab) at 3400 fps. You will hit harder and still have good trajectory with the heavier bullets though.
I have a 10" twist barrel on my rifle so I limit my bullets to 140 and 150 grain. At present I'm shooting the 140 nos ab in rem brass with rl25 and 215's doing the work. Mudrunner and a few of the others are using 180 grain pills.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:32 PM

Yea I love my 140's and they are like an electric shock on deer here in Louisiana where most are not huge. I guess to re-ask the same question," are the 140's too light and unstable if I am going to attempt to shoot 5-6-700 yards?" They do an excellent job on anything normal ( normal around here is 2-300 yards ) but long range should I go heavier from the get go, sacrifice trajectory for stability?
Old 12-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
Yea I love my 140's and they are like an electric shock on deer here in Louisiana where most are not huge. I guess to re-ask the same question," are the 140's too light and unstable if I am going to attempt to shoot 5-6-700 yards?" They do an excellent job on anything normal ( normal around here is 2-300 yards ) but long range should I go heavier from the get go, sacrifice trajectory for stability?

Why would you need to go to a heavier bullet for stability?

I shot this buck through the neck at 480 yards this year with my stw. I had no problem with accuracy with the rifle. The biggest problem with mid weight bullets in 7mm is they drop off energy wise a bit quicker but that doesn't start to get bad until you approach 1,000 yards.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:54 AM

Cool, that's what I needed to know, I haven't tried the 140's at an extended range and was wondering if that light of bullet would "drift" to much past normal ranges. Nice Buck by the way! With that being said I'd love to stay with my flat shooting 140's , thanks, Mike
Old 12-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Maximum distance and size of game should be considered when choosing the bullet for the job. We hunt elk so I tend to lean toward sectional density and higher BC for less drift, more energy and terminal damage at longer distance. I have built, owned and shot many 7mm-300 wins which are very close in ballistics to the STW. I will load nothing less than a 180 gr high BC bullet for my type of use. If you plan to keep it relatively short distances under 500 yards then that could be different. But on elk I want the heaviest bullet at any distance. I load for the best results on the longest pokes I would ever take, the larger bullets prove to have less drift and drop when stretching out a 7. And I have tested this side by side in the field.

Jeff

PS: this is assuming you have a 9 twist.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:34 AM

Well to be honest I don't know my barrel twist rate. What I have is a completely factory Rem. Sendaro STW with stainless fluted barrel, do you know what twist that would be? What grains match best to this twist? Thanks, Mike