Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Is the STW right for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is the STW right for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takem406 View Post
Well now that you got yours mind telling the local where his friends are??? hahah!
I was looking at the 168's. I'm running 150's in my 308 however I'm not shooting much beyond 300 with that rifle.

Can't wait for tax season!!! Hopefully part of the two grand I pay out of my paychecks a month will come back to me!
.308 Win, I'd use 168gr minimum...Just my opinion. I've shot deer from 100 to around 500 or so (don't own a rangefinder) with a .308 Win using 168's with no issues. Now that I have developed a Berger 210 VLD load for my .308 Win, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer out to 850 yards. Within 500 yards it would be like running up and smacking them with a pointed sledgehammer...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Bronze Member

Unhappy Re: Is the STW right for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
.308 Win, I'd use 168gr minimum...Just my opinion. I've shot deer from 100 to around 500 or so (don't own a rangefinder) with a .308 Win using 168's with no issues. Now that I have developed a Berger 210 VLD load for my .308 Win, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer out to 850 yards. Within 500 yards it would be like running up and smacking them with a pointed sledgehammer...
A 210 from a 308 has to be just above turtle velocity right?
I'm not worried about actually shooting an elk. My elk hunting is like the shows looking for bigfoot. I can find evidence they are out there but can never actually kill one!
Been hunting elk since I was 14 and I'm 26 now and I've never even had one in my sights.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
A 210 from a 308 has to be just above turtle velocity right?
I'm not worried about actually shooting an elk. My elk hunting is like the shows looking for bigfoot. I can find evidence they are out there but can never actually kill one!
Been hunting elk since I was 14 and I'm 26 now and I've never even had one in my sights.
Actually, out of my 24" 5R 11.25 twist barrel, they are moving right around 2,400 fps MV, and 2,686 ft lbs of ME.... And at 850 yards it still retains 1,425 fps and 947 ft lbs of energy...It sure ain't gonna bounce off them when it hits. It's gonna pop out the other side if you hit them in the vitals, and sink deep in the heart if you shoulder shoot one.

Not quite as slow and wimpy as one would think.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 11-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Actually, out of my 24" 5R 11.25 twist barrel, they are moving right around 2,400 fps MV, and 2,686 ft lbs of ME.... And at 850 yards it still retains 1,425 fps and 947 ft lbs of energy...It sure ain't gonna bounce off them when it hits. It's gonna pop out the other side if you hit them in the vitals, and sink deep in the heart if you shoulder shoot one.

Not quite as slow and wimpy as one would think.
Oh ok thats not bad at all really!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Bronze Member

Talking Re: Is the STW right for me?

I got mine about 20 miles from Philipsburg Montana. 1625 miles one way from my house
Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh ok thats not bad at all really!
I have found over the many years of owning .308's that they are a very impressive round. I thought 168's and 175's were the end-all be-all bullet for the .308 Win, till I started handloading and got the bright idea to load some 210 Bergers in my Lapua brass. It blew me away, and my shooting buddy was looking through the spotting scope while I was shooting and kept asking which target I was shooting, because with an old crappy Simmons spotting scope it looked like I hit the bullseye once, then missed the rest...But I could see in my scope where I was shooting, and it was drilling them in 1 ragged hole. It really loves them.

Now, don't get me wrong, I keep 100rd boxes full of handloads in the 168 & 175 gr bullets because they are my normal shooters that I take to the range because I can buy those bullets cheap, but I also keep a 100 box of 210 VLD's loaded up, just incase I'm feeling froggy...

Now if I can just find a range that goes to 1K, I'll be happy.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
ummm, where you hunting?