Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Is the STW right for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 04:36 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Is the STW right for me?

Thanks guys! Now for my tax return!
How are these clamp on muzzle breaks? Would this be a budget way to go until I buy a custom barrel?
I've been using Barnes in my other rifles for probably five years.
The new Nosler LR Accudonds should be good too!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Bronze Member

The new lr accubonds look awesome!

I agree with the guy above about elr hunting. I don't elk hint only whitetail so 1000 yds and beyond I don't feel comfortable with. No matter what I'm doing non steel and paper right now. I'm not bashing, I just don't feel I have the goods for that. Elk is different story with much larger vitals. The stw can and will getbthw job done but a 338 rum or lapua would be my go to rounds probably. I know the stwxcan do it but I want the most I can get if going that route.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

I use BulletDrop+ for the iPhone. It has drops out to 2000 yards and you can choose between 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 yard increments. And you can choose between inches, Mils, and MOA.

It's pretty handy, especially if you have scopes that are MOA and Mil-Dot reticles.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takem406 View Post
Thanks guys! Now for my tax return!
How are these clamp on muzzle breaks? Would this be a budget way to go until I buy a custom barrel?
I've been using Barnes in my other rifles for probably five years.
The new Nosler LR Accudonds should be good too!
I would not be comfortable with the clamp on muzzle brakes on an LR rifle, especially a magnum.

For one thing you are going to have, if extremely minute, some change in the shape of the bore right at the critical point where the crown meets the lans and grooves by applying an uneven amount of force to the outer diameter of the barrel that could at least theoretically affect accuracy.

The other problem is that if not installed exactly correctly they do have a tendency to fly off.

I'd save my money and just get a Snowy Mountan Rifles Muzzle brake and get it installed when you can afford it.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

I am a fan of radial brakes...Like the Vais brakes. Especially when you get the smith to sand them down to match your barrel's contour. They look really sharp on there, as if it was made into the barrel.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:52 PM

The STW will get the job done on Elk. I just got back from Montana where I took a nice 6 x 6 with my Weatherby Mark V STW. I got him with 150 grain Barnes TSX with 78.4 grains of RL 25. Only 150 yard shot. If I had it to do again I would use 168 gr bullet at minimum, probably 175 gr. and shoot him through the shoulder instead of just behind it. He only went less than 100 yds but didn't bleed externally at all.

Weatherby Mark V 7MM STW
Steiner Predator 3x12x56
Winchester Model 70 7 MM STW Classic Stainless
Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x50
Old 11-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Bronze Member

Talking Re: Is the STW right for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado101 View Post
The STW will get the job done on Elk. I just got back from Montana where I took a nice 6 x 6 with my Weatherby Mark V STW. I got him with 150 grain Barnes TSX with 78.4 grains of RL 25. Only 150 yard shot. If I had it to do again I would use 168 gr bullet at minimum, probably 175 gr. and shoot him through the shoulder instead of just behind it. He only went less than 100 yds but didn't bleed externally at all.

Weatherby Mark V 7MM STW
Steiner Predator 3x12x56
Winchester Model 70 7 MM STW Classic Stainless
Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x50
Well now that you got yours mind telling the local where his friends are??? hahah!
I was looking at the 168's. I'm running 150's in my 308 however I'm not shooting much beyond 300 with that rifle.

Can't wait for tax season!!! Hopefully part of the two grand I pay out of my paychecks a month will come back to me!