Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Is the STW right for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Is the STW right for me?

I brain farted and forgot Rem chambers the SPS in 7 STW.
I could get one for $550. Pocket change
Then have it accurised and buy an expensive Vortex or Huskmaw.
I guess how far out will this thing cleanly kill as far as ballistics are concerned? I see Gunwerks shooting elk clean out to like 1200 with 7mm's. I know there is a lot involved here but on paper what's the drop of a 168 bullet and energy at say 1000?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takem406 View Post
I guess how far out will this thing cleanly kill as far as ballistics are concerned? I see Gunwerks shooting elk clean out to like 1200 with 7mm's. I know there is a lot involved here but on paper what's the drop of a 168 bullet and energy at say 1000?
Every gun and load is going to be different...

My 168 load drops 266.6". Retains 1,617 fps, and 975 ft. lbs of energy.

My 180 load drops 280.7". Retains 1,668 fps, and 1,112 ft. lbs of energy.

Now you see where the 180's dominate is the longer ranges because the heavier bullets retain more energy.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

Plenty of enough energy for big game! How do the Barnes work?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

The only Barnes bullets I've ever shot was some XLC coated 160 TSX's out of my old 7RM Browning A-Bolt II. Federal used to load them in factory ammo, and my rifle ate them up! They did great on whitetails, but I have no idea how they perform in an STW. I would assume good, like they did in the 7RM.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:59 PM
Bronze Member

I have a custom 7STW and love it.

I shoot 3 loads from it.

A handload we developed for it.
160grn Accubond factory nosler ammo
140 corlok factory

The remmy ammo is just always around and decent priced and we shoot it out to 400 with great results.

The handload is amazing accurate.

But I always stick with the nosler custom 160 accubond and I shoot it out to 1000 yds with great results.

I have yet to take a LR deer with it as I trusted myself with my 300WM more when I was able to really do some LR hunting. Now I have no problem taking the STW.

My rifle is light and recoil is nothing to me.

My rifle is called the Delta Special built by David Christman: he advertises in most all rifle magazines. He is from Delhi Louisiana

Components are: Bedded H-S Precision hunting stock, Shilen BBL (I think 28"), Old Style Remmy trigger, VIAS brake, Trued R700 action, DNZ one piece base with a bushnell elite 6-24 mil-dot scope.

My friend had it built and got in trouble and sold it to me for $700 and its a shooter, I had $400 in the scope so I got a great deal. I wont burn the bbl out as its my hunting rifle and I practice with it but my data books show much promise in the rig as do the LR targets. We have a 1MOA flapper on steel out to 1000 yds and 21 MOA gets me there at 0'DA with over 1000 FT-LBS left in it. I have not missed that flapper many times.

NOTE: this gun has shown me how to really be honest with myself and my data collection. Since the round is more expensive in ammo and bbl (and the light bbl gets hot quicker) I take more time really making sure all shots are GTG before sending bunch of bullets down range. After only 15 shots down the tube,(including zeroing new scope) I was getting 1st round hits past 600 on 1MOA flappers. The wind drift is amazing. Couldn't be more happier with mine.

I think you would feel the same.

Good LUck!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
While he's in there and got them apart, you might as well have him true the action and barrel shoulder, and install a nice stainless PTG or Holland .186" recoil lug, because the factory ones kinda suck. I'd also get a B&C Medalist stock. Then you can be in it for cheap for now, and then put on a nice aftermarket barrel, like a Bartlein, Rock Creek, Douglas, Hart, or something like that.

With a little truing you can make a stock SPS shoot mighty fine with handloads.

If you have a 1:9 twist factory barrel the 180gr Bergers will be perfect for long range.

The 168 VLD's will be nice if you have a 9.5 twist, but it still may possibly like the 180's, you'll just have to try them and find out. It's all a game of trial & error. For example, my older Sendero has a 9.25 twist, and I've found loads that it loves the 180's and some that it doesn't like them at all. And some that shoot great during cooler weather, and some that shoot great during summertime. Then, I've got some old "stand-by" loads that will shoot great year round.
Ditto. Something to keep in mind is to watch the classified section here at LRH because lots of nice used stocks sell there at very reasonable prices including lots of Sendero stocks.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takem406 View Post
If you are serious about killing Elk sized critters at 1000yds and beyond the STW will get the job done, but you are really better off moving up to the .30's or 338's.

They carry much more energy at extreme LR vs the 7's.

Inside of 1,000yds however there's nothing on the N. American continent the 7mm STW cannot handle with ease.

You can look up drops and velocities for lots of factory ammo online to give you an idea of how a given load is going to work and those will be pretty close.

Once you have your own rig together and have worked up a load for it though you can get accurate data for your specific rifle and load by using any of the ballistic calculators that are available.