Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Spiral fluted bolt with 7STW OK?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Bronze Member

Spiral fluted bolt with 7STW OK?

I am in the process of having a custom action built for a 7STW. The bolts are normally spiral fluted which concerns me with the 7STW being a belted cartridge, don't want the flutes hanging on the belt. Anyone have a STW with spiral fluted bolt? Anyone see any problems if this is done?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Spiral fluted bolt with 7STW OK?

I would have never even thought to ask a question like that....That's a good one. Now I'm curious, too.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Gold Member

Can they skip the flutes on the bottom of the bolt - leave that part flat? I don't know if the flutes will be a problem, but that would eliminate your concern.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

NO, we flute lots and lots of bolts on belted magnums and have never had an issue with the belt hanging on the flutes. and Yes, mine is fluted, and heavy deep flutes. We even fluted the bolts on 2 of the 33/378weatherbys we built and those didn't hang up either.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 04-26-2013, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR292 View Post
NO, we flute lots and lots of bolts on belted magnums and have never had an issue with the belt hanging on the flutes. and Yes, mine is fluted, and heavy deep flutes. We even fluted the bolts on 2 of the 33/378weatherbys we built and those didn't hang up either.
Go with Ben's answer. No it's not going to cause any issues.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR292 View Post

Thanks for clearing that up. Nice to hear it from someone who knows.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Bronze Member

I have a spiral fluted bolt on my STW by Kampfeld Customs. He will cut it the whole way around but if you choose will only cut the top part that you see leaving the bottom that runs across the brass untouched so you don't feel it.

As others have stated it really doesn't 'hurt' anything but you do feel a difference as my buddy has a 30 Hart that he had the bolt done the whole way around vs mine which has the bottom that runs across the mag uncut.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck.