Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Problem Dry firing my new STW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 03:12 AM

Problem Dry firing my new STW

I have a new custom lightweight 7mm STW built on a Rem. action. Its 5.5 lbs. (6.75 with scope) its Jewel trigger set at 2 lbs. My problem is that when I dry fire, the gun moves. When the trigger breaks it doesn't just vibrate, it jumps. I assume that it is just a product of being so light. I have had others dry fire my rifle with the same results. I don't have a problem dry firing other heavier rifles, with sub .5 minute of accuracy at the range. This has of course caused accuracy issues at the range when shooting groups with the lightweight rifle. Can higher quality parts be used in the firing system to smooth it out? Am I just doing something wrong? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
Old 11-02-2013, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Problem Dry firing my new STW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad k View Post
I have a new custom lightweight 7mm STW built on a Rem. action. Its 5.5 lbs. (6.75 with scope) its Jewel trigger set at 2 lbs. My problem is that when I dry fire, the gun moves. When the trigger breaks it doesn't just vibrate, it jumps. I assume that it is just a product of being so light. I have had others dry fire my rifle with the same results. I don't have a problem dry firing other heavier rifles, with sub .5 minute of accuracy at the range. This has of course caused accuracy issues at the range when shooting groups with the lightweight rifle. Can higher quality parts be used in the firing system to smooth it out? Am I just doing something wrong? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
Heavier rifles allow us to cover up a lot of "Driver related" issues.

How light have you got the trigger pull set?

How much over travel?

There are two ways to help related to over travel. Either set the trigger so that there is zero over travel at all so that there's no free fall and subsequent impact after the break.

The other is to set it with the over travel opened up all the way out so that you can with practice learn to stop your finger before the trigger stop is reached.

I would lighten the trigger to as light a setting as you feel safe with and open up the OT all the way to start and see if that solves the issue. If it doesn't then try it with zero.

Also work on drawing your finger straight back using just the tip of the trigger finger on the trigger so as to ensure you are neither pushing, nor pulling to either side causing torque.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:50 PM

Re: Problem Dry firing my new STW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Heavier rifles allow us to cover up a lot of "Driver related" issues.

Also work on drawing your finger straight back using just the tip of the trigger finger on the trigger so as to ensure you are neither pushing, nor pulling to either side causing torque.
Thats good advice I think.