Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Original sendero question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Original sendero question?

Was there a dealer exclusive offered prior to the original sf sendero in stw? I heard remington offered the first sf sendero as a dealer exclusive in stw prior to the release of what we would know now as the sf1. Mine doesn't say "sendero" anywhere on it. But looks like the sf sendero, it has no palm swell. Any truth to this? Wondering if someone can give me the lineage of the model in stw, thanks
Old 11-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Original sendero question?

It's not called a Sendero SF1, it's just simply called the "Sendero SF". The newest model is actually designated by Remington as the "Sendero SF II".

The original Senderos were blued rifles, and non-fluted heavy barrels.

Here's how the generations go, and how they are distinguishable:

Sendero - Blued rifle, jeweled bolt, non-fluted heavy barrel, black & gray HS Precision stock, no palmswell, single swivel stud.

Sendero SF - Stainless rifle, jeweled bolt, stainless & fluted (SF) heavy barrel, same black & gray HS Precision stock as the original Sendero.

Sendero SF II - Stainless rifle, jeweled bolt, stainless & fluted heavy barrel with black painted flutes. A new style black & gray HS Precision stock that has a heavy palmswell and double swivel studs and a flatter wider forend.

Your rifle is a Sendero SF. It's not some dealer-only special run deal. I have the exact same rifle, bought it brand new 12 years ago from the outdoors store I was working at, and it doesn't say the word "Sendero" on it anywhere, except the box it came in.

To my knowledge, the STW's and the RUM's were pretty much the only calibers that were never stamped with the word "SENDERO" on the barrel after the caliber designation.

Here's a picture of the caliber on the barrel of my Sendero SF 7mm STW.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.

Last edited by MudRunner2005; 11-25-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

Several years before that Bill Hicks had a run made of blued heavy fluted rifles.They came in 7mm rem mag ,300 win mag and 25-06.I think they had 75 built in each caliber.I have one in 300 wm it was and still is a tack driver.It's known in my hometown as the black stick of death,,,GRIN
Interestingly I took my rifle to a gunsmith when I first got it to have it trued.He called me in a week and said come get it,,,it didn't need any truing...True story!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:31 PM

Ok here is a question for you Sendero guru's looking for info on a black fluted barreled 7mm mag I bought new in 94-95 and had it rechambered to 7 stw it has the same has stalk as the SF and is the only black fluted barrel I have seen, until the last few years and big green came out with the black flutes.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeLab1 View Post
Ok here is a question for you Sendero guru's looking for info on a black fluted barreled 7mm mag I bought new in 94-95 and had it rechambered to 7 stw it has the same has stalk as the SF and is the only black fluted barrel I have seen, until the last few years and big green came out with the black flutes.
See the story below, that is from 2 posts above yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger11 View Post
Several years before that Bill Hicks had a run made of blued heavy fluted rifles.They came in 7mm rem mag ,300 win mag and 25-06.I think they had 75 built in each caliber.I have one in 300 wm it was and still is a tack driver.It's known in my hometown as the black stick of death,,,GRIN
Interestingly I took my rifle to a gunsmith when I first got it to have it trued.He called me in a week and said come get it,,,it didn't need any truing...True story!

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeLab1 View Post
Do you mean a stainless barrel with black flutes?