Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

New rifle and problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: New rifle and problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Sounds about right for a factory Remington, unbox, fondle, send to gunsmith!
My twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs shot consistently sub .75 MOA without any gunsmith modifications.

But these were manufactured in the good old days from Remington (one in 1997 & one in 1998)

I added jewel triggers and skim bedded the actions and now they shoot consistently sub .25 MOA.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 03-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Sounds about right for a factory Remington, unbox, fondle, send to gunsmith!
I do that anyway... I never expect too much from any factory gun. I buy, unbox, work up a load, and if it doesn't shoot to my expectations, I take it off to the smith...

I've been really lucky, as almost all of my factory Remingtons have been shooters.

Game, I just worked up a 1/2 MOA load this weekend for my STW, using Berger 180 Hybrids and 7828 SSC pushing them just at 3,000 fps.

Blurry pic, but I took it with my phone through my spotting scope. They're 6" targets, and by my estimation, that's about 3/4" outside to outside, so C-to-C would be about 1/2". The one flier was thanks to a stray ray of sunlight that hit my scope at the exact same time I pulled the trigger, and made me pull the shot. So 4 out of 5 (should be 5 out of 5) were in the same hole. Not bad for an old rifle with a high round-count.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

I tried the I would like to have the barrel chambered by my gunsmith. Needless to say they dont have much of a sense of humor. I even asked nicely

It get to ride the big brown truck again back to remington. wow I should have just built a rifle off my montana 99 long action
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwackr View Post
I tried the I would like to have the barrel chambered by my gunsmith. Needless to say they dont have much of a sense of humor. I even asked nicely

It get to ride the big brown truck again back to remington. wow I should have just built a rifle off my montana 99 long action
Yeah, I should have warned you they might not think that to be too funny. LOL

On the bright-side, it's gonna get some treatment, and if it still doesn't shoot, you're out nothing more than a little wait time...You know?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Silver Member

ya the guy I was dealing with got kinda offended when I said I just want to make sure its right. I didnt say it with any authority or anything just normal conversation.
I have a feeling that this gun will see either a cbi or kreiger blank before to long
Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Dont feel too bad...Atleast you don't have a rifle with a MSRP of $2,200 fixing to have to ride the big brown truck back to Weatherby...

I've had my Accumark 257 Wby since late 2008, and only put maybe 250-300 rounds through it. It copper-fouls so badly that it started causing me concern. And since it was new, it has always had a couple of tight spots in the bore, and won't group under 1" with any ammo, including factory Weatherby ammo...

My smith is looking into it, and if he says that barrel is junk, it's going back to Weatherby for a new barrel.

Quote:
Old 03-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Gold Member

Bushwackr,
If you havn't sent it yet let me save ya some time and heart-ach. I bought a new 5r mil-spec in 300wm. It would not even chamber a round, the chamber was never finished at Rem. My dealer called them to have them ship a new blank to him, no go.
I had to send the rifle to them when I got it back 3 weeks later, it would chamber a round but would do the exact same thing yours is doing now. I got six rounds through it, my gun smith was there at the time on the 6th shot the extractor broke. He just took it with him installed a new sako extractor put a custom polishing job on it, and now it feeds an ejects like glass. Just take it to a smith you trust and be done with it.